Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HBC Spring Bear Contest 2011

HBC Spring Bear Contest 2011

You may enter 2 black bear and one grizzly bear
    One entry= One ballot
    List score if you wish to be included in the "big bear" category (If we get enough prize donations)
    All entries must be BC wildlife.
    All entries MUST be accompanied by a photo, posted on this Contest thread.
    All entrants *MUST* be members of HBC no later than Apr 10/2011
    All entrants *MUST* be accompanied by a short story of the hunt. (No, we don't need GPS co-ordinates, just let us know what sort of terrain you were hunting, and how you hunted it, etc- This adds to the fun, and makes the contest more interesting) POSTING A LINK TO YOUR THREAD ABOUT YOUR HUNT IS NOT ACCEPTABLE. You may copy and paste from your thread, but you MUST include a picture and short story on THIS thread.
    All entries must be harvested in a legal manner, as prescribed by BC Wildlife/Hunting Regulations. Tag and HL #'s must be supplied upon demand if there is any questions.
    COntest ends June 30/2011

Since this is a CONTEST thread, please keep comments/congrats to a minimum; : "Wow, Gatehouse, nice 2 point" is an example of an acceptable post..Eventually, such posts will get deleted in the interest of expediency. If you wish to discuss the animals, start other threads. No offence is meant, just it's hard to plow through pages of "nice buck" comments when I try to find entrants etc.

Questions will be answered on this thread.

If anyone would like to donate a prize, please PM me!

Categories will be sorted out once I have prizes sorted out. I'll link to the last contest for a sample of the categories.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?55091-HBC-Fall-Hunting-contest-UPDATED-WITH-WINNERS!!!!!&highlight=

****Categories are dependent on what we get for prize donations****

**** Ineligible entries will be ignored****

FRENCHBAR has donated a YOUTH PRIZE!!

Omineca Source for Sports will donate a youth prize

Featherlite Mummy Sleeping Bag -7 degrees celsius w/ compression sack

Blacktail has donated a custom made knife (not exactly as shown)

Mike Hodgson aka The Stocksmith has donated a complete wood stock refinishing. (You supply the stock) He puts 20 to 30 hours (depending on condition of stock) of work into each stock. All refinishing is done by European hand rubbed oil finishes. Mike has a tremendous amount of experience and is going into his 30th year of doing this. Here is an example of his work.

BIG BORE category

Brom Bones has donated a box of 350 grain Swift A-Frames (.458 cal, cannelured for 45/70 Lever Gun) to a hunter who takes a bear with his 45/70

BigWhiteys and Havalon Knives have donated a knife!

The "Grizzly Bear" Piranta-Predator
    Skinning Knife By Havalon Knives

Last edited by Gateholio; 04-14-2011 at 08:33 AM.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: HBC Spring Bear Contest 2011

Great Youth Prize donation form Frenchbar!

Anyone else would like to donate a prize, let me know! thanks!
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

On a quick note
    The knife to be donated will look pretty much exactly like the knife pictured
    It will have a different style of snap over sheath made with a belt loop
    Promoting the sport of Archery and Bowhunting
    NCCP and IBEF Certification

Custom Knives and Game Calls

Quote....."Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid"........John Wayne
    Quote....."It is far better to be alone than in bad company"........ George Washington

Thumbs up Re: HBC Spring Bear Contest 2011

Omineca Source for Sports will donate a youth prize

Featherlite Mummy Sleeping Bag -7 degrees celsius w/ compression sack

Last edited by Nechako Outdoors; 04-13-2011 at 03:34 PM.
    Browse our online store!
    www.nechakooutdoors.ca

106 1st Street West
    Vanderhoof, BC
    250 567 9885
    mark@nechakooutdoors.ca

Havalon Knives have donated a knife!

Havalon would like to see this awarded as a Youth Prize.

The "Grizzly Bear" Piranta-Predator
    Skinning Knife By Havalon Knives

Knife will come with 12 replaceable blades as well.

Knife will be shipped to winner, or can be picked up/dropped off if the winner is local to my area.

Don't Go Ninja'n Nobody, Don't Need Ninja'n!

FirstLite - Manufacturer of Fine Merino Wool Hunting Clothing has agreed to donate the following

1 Labrador Merino Wool Zipup Top in ASAT camo pattern
    1 Brimmed Beanie in ASAT camo pattern

FirstLite would like to see this awarded as a youth prize but if we are short in other categories it's OK to re-assign within the spring bear contest.

Winner will be able to choose appropriate shirt size.

Winner will need to contact me (bigwhiteys) via PM with their details to arrange delivery of the FirstLite prize package.

Last edited by bigwhiteys; 04-14-2011 at 04:05 PM.
    Don't Go Ninja'n Nobody, Don't Need Ninja'n!

VantagePoint Outfitters will donate the following:

Two Prize Packages each containing:

6 Darkhorse Arrows;
    a 3 pack of PX2 Broadheads with replacement blades;
    a Fenix E01 Flashlight.

One of these packages to the largest black bear taken with a traditional bow, the other for the largest black bear taken with a compound or crossbow.

A third prize of a Fallkniven F1 knife to the largest grizzly bear taken with any archery equipment.

Well we got one !! We had spent most of the evening driving hiking and glassing. Saw a few piles of fresh bear terd, and lots of sign that they were grazing on the grasses. We were heading into check the backside of an area that seemed to have lots of sign on the front side but no bears. As we headed up the back side we could see everything was really greening up, all of a sudded trailmasters little black lab starts to bark in her crate. We looked at each other and thought thats strange maybe she has to go pee. We had just had her out to do her business not to much earlier. As trailmaster stopped the truck it was almost simutanously bear !!!! Out we get. The bear was headed up a slope about 90 yards away. I loaded took aim and all i could see was bear bum As trailmaster got out of the truck the bear turned broadside and boom of went my 300 win mag 180 federal. The bear twirled sprinted about 40 or 50 yards and went down. After a little celebrating we let the pup out and quess what, she had no interest in peeing As we walked in on the bear she started doing that exact same bark, may have to borrow her for my new rig dog
    Block and tackle is the only way to bear hunt hooke3d him up and down to the road in no time.

Special thanks to trailmaster and his little lab pup.

Will add some measurements later
    Some people call them hunting hounds, I call them cross country sight seeing guides

Measures so far rough measure nose to tail skinned and not pulled by two trucks 6 foot give or take ear to ear 9 inches approx front paws were big about 5.5 to 6 inches wide. ok roughly 18 4/16 set scull on top of tape with framing sguare not fully dry

Happy hunting
    Last edited by cavebear; 06-27-2011 at 11:16 PM.
    Some people call them hunting hounds, I call them cross country sight seeing guides

Up early over the last couple days (old buggers don't sleep much ya know)

Somebody is gonna win this
    Sheath to be made later

clip point full tang knife
    brass bolster and pins
    cocobolo handle
    Promoting the sport of Archery and Bowhunting
    NCCP and IBEF Certification

Custom Knives and Game Calls

Quote....."Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid"........John Wayne
    Quote....."It is far better to be alone than in bad company"........ George Washington