Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Types of Dog owners.

Re: Types of Dog owners.

I use to have couple of working dogs, I trusted both my dogs with my life... they were my partners when we were out working, there is no room for error… I loved both my dogs, but if they made a mistake they will know, that they have made a mistake, I never beat them up, most of the time a look was enough or a loud “NO” would be required, sometimes you have to correct them with taking their favorite toy away.. in other words I did not do anything to the dogs that I wont do to my kid if he ever makes a mistake.

I believe if you are not a leader you will make a crapy dog owner. Dogs were wild animals and there was always a alpha male and they see you as an alpha male…

I guess I would fall under the worker category
    M.Dean
    Real hunters have no friends! Alls we want from you is where you seen the big buck last year! We don't care about your dog or what you do for a living or how you bake a bloody pie from scratch! Where did you see the buck, Buddy! We don't watch Oprah or shower at a 10 day hunting camp, we eat pork and beans with the knife we gut Deer with,we blow our nose with our fingers and the Regs are used for Toilet Paper! Friends, Ha, isn't that a TV show for Girlie Men???

Have a purebred newfounland pup. Spend money on him like he's another one of my kids. He goes to obedience school. Eats expensive natural food. He is super good with kids, but also will grow to be at least 150lbs. Has a deep bark. Wanted a dog to look after the wife and kids while I'm at sea working.

Quote Originally Posted by 835 View Post
    Due to a recent thread about dogs with some arguing in it I got to thinking.
    I think most of this bickering happens because there three types of dog owners.
    Because of this you tend to one line of logic and think you are right. But since we all own dogs for different reasons we cant aggree with one and other. so here we go, I'll try to put this to words as best i can and see what you think.

I'ts just a dog owner:
    these ownres just have dogs as pets. And dont put much more thought or time in it then that. This is a wide group but for the most part dont put much thought into the dog. Dogs are just dogs.

The worker:
    This owner puts a huge amount into the dog. Hunters, trials, agility Etc.
    These people put in research, training time and vet time. They have more invested into the dog. Dogs are more then "Just dogs"

The rescuer:
    Some one who wants a pet and wants to help dogs. Loves the dogs but doesnt always see the reason for a purebreed. Dogs are not Just dogs, but also arent tools.

There is obviously alot in between these three but i bet If you think about it you tend to one side. And is the base for alot of opinion based arguing.

Yes im bord, maybe i didnt put my thoughts down right but what do you think? Can you expand?
    Difference of opinion happen. If you thought the "I'm worried about my dog" thread was bad you should read the "My cat got attacked in my front yard" thread in the Open Chat. You know some opinions should just stay not be written.

The cat one and a recent dog one both OPs were told go put a bullet through the animals head and were ridiculed for spending $$ at the vet on the animal.

I get it that to some people view “pets” as disposable. The shelters are full of throw away animals. Seems to be a number of people on this forum that feel vets are a waste of money and it is a regular opinion that .22 is a cure all….cause there is always another throw away, rescue looking for a home or they or their buddy can always breed another dog etc…. There are folks that feel any amount of money spent to buy a dog and to maintain a dog is money ill spent. It’s just the mentality of some people….

They spout off about people who do spend money on their dogs are ignorant and those of us who do spend money on our dogs spout off about those who don’t are ignorant as well.

I see the “I’m worried about my dog" thread has now deteriorated into “purebreds” have more health problems then mixed breeds. Which is confusing to me since the OP states he has a heeler..which is not a mixed breed dog.

I disagree with the opinion that mixed breeds are healthier then purebreds …but for me to point out that there are no organization keeping health records of mixed breed dogs is a waste of time and I’d be opening my self up to be accused of being pompous, a know it all, or need to get a life, etc.. again.

It really sucks when facts don’t agree with your opinion….it is way easier to simply spout off. Or better yet, when someone disagrees with you to spout off on an unrelated tangent. Now that cracks me up!

I have had rescued mutts. They were not just "pets". I have a stray cat who has been our prisoner for 10 years now. Her only job in life is to puke on the carpet. Don't tell me a .22 would solve the problem she is more then just a pet. My current dogs are "workers." They are my hobby. I put a huge amount of time and energy into everything to do with them....gee, maybe I DO need to get a life!!
    Last edited by Kasomor; 03-29-2011 at 09:06 PM.

I'm kinda of a mix of all three categories: there's no way I'd ever pay $800+ for a purebred dog that [as far I am concerned] will behave no differently than a free/cheap 'rescued' dog [with the same training and temperament], and from my personal experience I have actually preferred the temperament of most mixed breed dogs. I have them for companionship as their main role, but I do expect them to work as well [I expect them to pull their own weight too]. I love dogs more than any other animals, but the only reason I don't currently own one is because I've yet to recently find one that has won my heart over and because I cannot have one here on the farm due to the amount of other dogs loose on the property as well. It has become a major issue getting the dogs that we do have to get along (they're left to roam free, not by my choice), and due to one in particular that was attacking the others we had to give her up for adoption. Unfortunately, it already left the mark on the others so they have become extremely territorial and very defensive towards other dogs. They are the landlord's dog, not mine, so it is her choice and there's nothing I can do about it (I have tried talking to her many times about it but she refuses to listen).

The only problem I have found with rescued/free animals is that they generally have come from a less-than-pleasant upbringings, and are usually untrained and undisciplined. When you get an 8 month old or older dog that has been ignored or beaten, it can be an absolute nightmare to change its behaviour and train it properly. However, there are exceptions and that is what I look for because there are good dogs out there in need of a home, and they want nothing more than to please you and make you happy, and that is the right temperament because that is a dog that will try and can be taught. Its sometimes a little difficult breaking them of their bad habits, but with enough patience it can be done. Hey, I recently acquired an absolute idiot of a cat and he's gone from being a complete retaard to becoming a pretty decent little rodent to have around. I never would have guessed it, but he's a pleaser and it didn't take him long to figure things out compliments of a bit of discipline. Dogs aren't really too different. LR

I spoil the hell out of my dog, but she's also one of those rare ones that, despite the spoiling, listens to me flawlessly as I've established that this is my house, and she is not in charge. We've got a mutual bond and she is by far the best dog I've ever owned, as such I do everything to ensure she has a happy, healthy, fulfilling life with me that's not on the end of a chain, or stuffed full of 'people food'. She's allowed in the house, she's allowed on the furniture, and if people don't like it, then don't come over and sit on it.

She doesn't destroy anything, she doesn't bark excessively, she doesn't escape the yard and go gallivanting all over the country-side like I've heard all her siblings do, she comes when called and, for the breed she is, is absolutely fantastic around people's small animal pets once it's established that they're off-limits.

She's more than just a dog, to me.. but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Ranger View Post
    there's no way I'd ever pay $800+ for a purebred dog that..
    Soooo...I guess you won't be getting a pup from this guy anytime soon

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...nearly-1m.html

I suppose I would fall under the "rescuer" category. However, I've only "rescued" them once when I adopted them (one from the SPCA at 1.5 yrs and one from a disfunctional neighbour at 10wks). They are part of the family and great companions. They're a different species so they're not treated like humans, which also means I don't expect them to behave like anything other than what they are; dogs. They were taught manners and respect and were disciplined when necessary. I provide them the best I can and show them a great deal of love. In return they've given me respect, affection and a bond that is truly amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasomor View Post

That's like damn near 2 milskies Canadian. Well if you got the money why not I guess but damn.

worker...

IMHO a properly bred dog is worth it if you want to try to make the best of the best.

All dogs will learn the trade the owner wants them too.

Mr. Deans Boxer will flush and retrieve grouse, and he gets pretty excited about birds.I know a Vizal that is a dog that retrieves off the Ladner Marsh.

I did alot of research into my dog and it has made my life as a first time trainer go very smoothly becasue He had the Blood tracking, pointing and retrieving bred into the dogs brain and I just have to refine his instinct.

Just my thoughts

Dutchie

Quote Originally Posted by Kasomor View Post

Yeouwch.. well, I guess if you just have way to much money burning a hole in your pocket.. LR