Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Galore creek mine

Re: Galore creek mine

Until they get the tailings issue completely sorted out I would be very surprised to see very much activity, or at least not the ridiculous activity of 3-4 years ago.

Replaced a communications site for BCH on Mt Iskuit ( Bob Quinn ) last year, was told they're going to build a power line up that way.

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    Haven't a clue. Do you mean are they reviewing how they will manage their tailings?
    Yes, I remember something about the tailings pond construction that was one of the reasons for the major cost over runs.
    Wasn't there some talk of provincial government letting mining companies use existing lakes as tailings ponds?

Quote Originally Posted by .270 View Post
    Yes, I remember something about the tailings pond construction that was one of the reasons for the major cost over runs.
    Wasn't there some talk of provincial government letting mining companies use existing lakes as tailings ponds?
    They lacked suitable material for a tailings dam, and needed to re-think their plan. I'm sure they'll eventually get it figured out, as all you need is something just large enough to get production to start up. Once they've got a good amount of sand from the milling process pumped out into the pond, they can use that to build on. The tailings crew would most likely be doing quite a bit of line work (re-routing & extending) during the first stages but they'll get it worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by .270 View Post
    Major cost overuns was something called an MI-26 at $27,000 an hour!!!

The tunnel to the mine site was also a significant fail...went back to drawing board after the first major season.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb View Post
    Until they get the tailings issue completely sorted out I would be very surprised to see very much activity, or at least not the ridiculous activity of 3-4 years ago.
    Expect to be suprised...but it certainly won't be what we saw back then, that was friggin insane and extremely inefficient as we all quickly found out.

I recall being in staging and seeing at least 6 heli's coming or going at any given time...mostly just to transport fuel to the various headings.