Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shed Hunting Today...

Re: Shed Hunting Today...

Quote Originally Posted by TPB View Post
    When you find a fresh rub out shed hunting is it worth looking at the base it or is it just a good sign?
    I am no expert, but I wouldn't think many of those rubs were made when antlers were about to fall off. Probably made in september for velvet stripping, or nov/dec for territory marking during the rut.

Another question i have is if anyone knows if the elk have dropped yet? Thanks
    I have heard of a few elk being picked up recently

Part 2: I went out this morning again and went for a long walk until i found this little thing, man it was old.
    Off again in a few minutes hopefully to find a fresh one.

When you find a fresh rub out shed hunting is it worth looking at the base it or is it just a good sign? Another question i have is if anyone knows if the elk have dropped yet? Thanks
    What a brute! Hope there wasn't much difficulty packin that one out

Quote Originally Posted by snareman1234 View Post
    I am no expert, but I wouldn't think many of those rubs were made when antlers were about to fall off. Probably made in september for velvet stripping, or nov/dec for territory marking during the rut.

Thats what i figured but i found a few rubs with fresh shaving on top of the snow and it was still full of wet sap, so i have no clue?
    Quote Originally Posted by hillclimber View Post
    What a brute! Hope there wasn't much difficulty packin that one out
    Haha i didnt want to put the effort into packing that monster out so i stuck the brow tine into the flesh of a tree to give somebody a "what the hell" moment

Nice work! I used to know an avid hunter from Sparwood who had his lab trained to sniff out sheds. Each year he would find dozens. Might give that a go with my next pooch...
    Kill Em And Grill Em

Quote Originally Posted by Deeboe View Post
    Nice work! I used to know an avid hunter from Sparwood who had his lab trained to sniff out sheds. Each year he would find dozens. Might give that a go with my next pooch...

Haha i have my mom convince to buy a chocolate lab for the next family dog, but little does she know i have intentions to train him to sniff out sheds and bloodtrail, sounds like a good idea.