Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bear Meat

Re: Bear Meat

Quote Originally Posted by bigwhiteys View Post
    Fixed it for ya Marc!

Seriously though... If you get a bad bear, boil it up and make dog food with it... My dog goes nuts for it.

Carl
    a REAL good reason for getting a dog,,,,,,

a REAL good reason for starting a Garden,,,,,

The girls in my house are fussy eaters. But bear meat is the first meat we run out of.
    Try one, if you don't like it, it will take but ten minutes here to find the left overs a new home.
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

I have eaten lots of Black Bear meat.The only problem that I can see with Bear meat is if it is a garbage dump eater or I got one near the Harrison once that had been eating salmon.It was not the best.As for the worms If it is frozen well or well cooked I just forget about them.Excellent meat for sausage,etc or roasts,stew meat ,mince or whatever you do with other kinds of meat.Excellent eating.Have fed it to people who said that Bear meat was disgusting.They loved it.Never told them what it was.

Some of the best eating meat you can find if you hunt bears that are not near GARBAGE or THE OCEAN. Medium size eaters are great for all cuts of meat, including cured hams from the rear legs. Best burger by far!!
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

My wife loves baking with the bear lard.

Funny story, we have good friends who won't come over for dinner because they are afraid we will serve them bear meat.... We had them over for dessert the other day... My wife baked up a big apple pie. They loved it and even had seconds. We still haven't told them it was baked with bear lard.

Quote Originally Posted by winchester284 View Post
    My wife loves baking with the bear lard.

Funny story, we have good friends who won't come over for dinner because they are afraid we will serve them bear meat.... We had them over for dessert the other day... My wife baked up a big apple pie. They loved it and even had seconds. We still haven't told them it was baked with bear lard.
    SNEAKY , you really pulled the "wool over their eyes"

you should have also rubbed their boots and shoes with Bear Lard, as it is a very good leather preservative and waterproofing for leather!

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk View Post
    Some of the best eating meat you can find if you hunt bears that are not near GARBAGE or THE OCEAN. Medium size eaters are great for all cuts of meat, including cured hams from the rear legs. Best burger by far!!
    Or near the river when eating fish all fall! Gross and greasy!!!!
    Tell it how it is!!!

I have shot and eaten many bears none from a dump but all are good .I beleive you are supposed to freeze the meat for three months to get rid of any possible parasites.Only a couple weeks, going for a tour to horne lake to check out for sign right now.

Most of my bears lately have been taken out of a friend of a friends orchard.
    The COs have given permission for the bears to be taken any time of the year regardless of season. We can only use shot gun slugs.

They taste great after feeding on peaches/plums/apricots. Very sweet meat.
    I get the hams smoked and a batch of pepperoni. The kids & I love it but my wife has this thing about eating bear. More for me.
    if people of color do it, it's "affirmative action" "civil rights", etc, etc. If a bunch of white folks do it....its "racist" and "hate speech" quote Willyqbc

Quote Originally Posted by elkdom View Post
    SNEAKY , you really pulled the "wool over their eyes"

you should have also rubbed their boots and shoes with Bear Lard, as it is a very good leather preservative and waterproofing for leather!
    I do use it for waterproofing my boots. It works great and it's a myth that they smell.

By the way, the lard I use for waterproofing my boots is separate from what my wife uses for baking....