Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bear Meat

Bear Meat

im planning on going black bear hunting this spring for the first time, ive hunted lots of deer before and i always eat all the meat off my deer by making sausage, pepperoni, steaks, roasts, ect. my question is what is the best way to utilize the meat from a bear, i hear the meat isnt alway the best but makes good pepperoni, any tips or info on what you guys are doing with your bear meat would be great, thanx.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Bear Meat

I've had sausage, pepperoni, and salami made that all came out great. I've also cooked it as steak and roast. My wife prefers the bear meat to deer. I also ground a lot of it up for making spaghetti sauce and chili. Once you get over the "I can't believe I'm eating a bear" It's like any other meat.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

I've had sausage, pepperoni, and salami made that all came out great. I've also cooked it as steak and roast. My wife prefers the bear meat to deer. I also ground a lot of it up for making spaghetti sauce and chili. Once you get over the "Two foot long nasty worms" It's like any other meat.
    Fixed it for ya Marc!

Seriously though... If you get a bad bear, boil it up and make dog food with it... My dog goes nuts for it.

Carl
    Don't Go Ninja'n Nobody, Don't Need Ninja'n!

where the hell am i anyways this isnt where i left the truck

Garden fertilizer, as has been said on here before it is better to eat your own feces than a worm infested bear. And just cause you dont see them doesnt mean their not there.
    Many a child journeys this high to be different. To get from here what their natures couldn't get them below. lt comes to nothing. Can't cheat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got it own ways.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwhiteys View Post
    Seriously though... If you get a bad bear, boil it up and make dog food with it... My dog goes nuts for it.Carl

What is your recipe and process? I'm sure more hunters would shoot bears if there was a viable use for a stinky old boar.
    I harvest carrots. I kill animals.

how can u tell the differance between a bad bear with worms and a good bear?

Recent Nanaimo transplant to Williams Lake

I have killed and eaten over 20 bears and never a bad one or any problems. I have heard these comments from many people who have it in their heads that every bear is full of disease and worms, but many just wont try it.

I had a bear roast in a slow cooker one day and my friends wife stopped by for coffee and had to try it because it smelt so good. she absolutely loved it and her husband would never shoot a bear because he said they stunk , dirty full of worms and you could not eat them. She liked it better than any moose or elk he had taken before. I still like Elk and moose better, but would be happy with a freezer full of good bear meat

I am more put off by having to handle a tick infested deer and have them crawling all over when you are dressing the deer or moose

Quote Originally Posted by HUNTERTREV View Post
    how can u tell the differance between a bad bear with worms and a good bear?
    There is no such thing as a "bad bear" unless maybe if you've shot one off a garbage dump. Go for an alpine fall berry bear or a early spring bear and it's some of the best table fare you've ever eaten!

If you have a problem with a few worms in the meat, don't look too closely at the moose you're eating or you'll start calling them "bad moose".

I have eaten lots of bear meat over the last few years, and never had a problem with any of it.

Save the trim for the fall and mix it with your deer, elk, moose... Or some bf/pk trim and do it.. I personally only take the hams and backstraps and do pepperoni with bf trim..
    Tell it how it is!!!