Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Bear Meat

Re: Bear Meat

I have shot and eaten bear meat on several occasions and found that i do not like the steaks but the sausauge and burger is okay

Bacon???.............................

Gunthers in Black Creek did up my bear for me. Had 40lbs peperoni, 60lbs garlic sausage, and 40lb smokies, done up and it was very very good. Brought the one hip home and did it into jerky.

To me a bear is for processing into all the stuff I would not dream of doing to fresh moose/deer/elk without weeping.

Spring bear, yep had worms in the guts, no bad smell to it at all.

Have you ever seen the worms in halibut. Now that is some nasty stuff!!! If you botched that job once you will never miss filleting it properly again
    Do not mess with nature...... as you are small AND biodegradable

The countryside is a soggy sort of place where animals and birds wander around uncooked!

From my experience so far with bears on the Island late May the bears are to me the best eating. No fat at all a this stage under the hide just meat and they've had all of April and May to sort their systems out after hibernation.

The two bears we took early April 2009 the flesh smelled like the grass you find rotting under your lawn mower. They tasted awful and I attribute it to taking the bears to early after leaving the den and not having sufficient time to purge themselves. Anyone else experience or think this way?
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

I agree. I've always harvested my bears after they've probably had at least a month to feed on the greenery. As you suggested that probably purges their systems and the meat is sweet, no smells, no parasites.

End of April, they're good to go. Doesn't take them long to restart their system on that fresh grass. I've tried bear many ways, but never a bavarian meatloaf as in a previous post or should I say a bearvarian meatloaf. Sounds dam fine to me. I'll be trying that one soon.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwhiteys View Post

They all had worms, they all smelled the same... And why wouldn't they? They are the garburators of our forest. A bear without worms? Not sure that exists. I think it's more like people who weren't looking for worms or mistake them for stringy pieces of fat... Watch one of those two footers coiling itself around your knife and you'll know!

Carl
    I think that would do me in. I don't know if I could eat one after that. I have never hunted bear but am thinking of doing it this spring, hams and sausage, would be the plan.