Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deer Trapping

Deer Trapping

So we're doing a little project for the Ministry through our local Wildlife club: we're trapping and collaring a few Blacktails. Got a little footage today you guys might enjoy.
    Pretty fun capturing live deer for a change. Check it out here:

and here:

and check out the ticks on this buck! there was probably about 30 ticks on each ear. Never seen anything like it.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Deer Trapping

poor buggers, did you pick the ticks off????
    Hunt to live-live to hunt!

Just a question would tranquilizers darts not be less stressful?
    Some people call them hunting hounds, I call them cross country sight seeing guides

how dose the trap work?

Shit those tics are gross. The deer 'looks' a bit stressed , but lots of em jump right back in the trap time after time.No fatalities either , had a couple young tagged bucks show up in the coral with my horses last summer.
    Good work Cainer!

Quote Originally Posted by cavebear View Post
    Just a question would tranquilizers darts not be less stressful?
    I was thinking the same thing! I will be surprised if he makes it, over stressing animals normally leads to death!

I can remember way back helping an old guy with an island deer he shot that was full of ticks. I went to grab a leg and the whole side of it came alive . Was my first introduction to deer ticks lets just say I had the itchies for awhile. I believe the ticks don't bother the deer that much though it's when deer ticks get on a moose is when problems start.

W.
    Never Mind The Bullshit !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    poor buggers, did you pick the ticks off????

Quote Originally Posted by Spy View Post
    I was thinking the same thing! I will be surprised if he makes it, over stressing animals normally leads to death!
    We've collared many deer in the past 2 years... all using the same trap(s) you saw in the footage. I've seen the tracking maps of the gps collars as well, and only one is currently not moving right now(read dead) and she's buried under tonnes of dirt in Meager Creek-with the collar.
    All other deer are still on the move.

Love for someone to provide us with tranq guns, it'd be like hunting early. I think there's probably more to it than that though...like knowing how much knock out juice to use on certain deer without actually killing them.

Quote Originally Posted by RayHill View Post
    how dose the trap work?
    It's basically a steel frame box with mesh, and a one way in, one way out deal. When the deer goes in and trips the wire, the rat trap on top of the main trap pulls the hook holding the door up, and it falls down...keeping the deer inside.