Thread: Waxing Your String On A Cross Bow ???.

Waxing Your String On A Cross Bow ???.

No one has ever been with me to show me how your to wax your string only from wording give me some feed back .

#1 how much wax do you apply ???.
    #2 how many times do you put the wax on the string when it is the first time waxing the string ???.
    #3 after shooting at targets how many times can a person shoot till you have to wax the string again ???.
    #4 Can you twist your string 2 or 8 times in order to tighten up the horse string ??? or are you to just leave it be when you buy the string new leave it straight ???.
    #5 How do you store your string when you take it off your cross bow ???.
    #6 How many shots are you good for till you need to replace your string ???.
    #7 What do you look for damage on the string ???.
    #8 What temperatures are the best place to store the string ???.
    #9 What make of string is tops that you can suggest to buy ???.
    #10 Is it ok to roll up your string to store it or should you leave the string at full length when storing ??? ,If I missed anything please add to the list ,Thanks H-47.
    Last edited by hunter1947; 03-17-2011 at 04:32 AM.
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Waxing Your String On A Cross Bow ???.

My excalibur cross bow suggested waxing every 50 shots. And also to wax the slide area is a good idea aswell (if the string contacts it like it did on mine)
    Most important thing to do when waxing a string is to rub it in. Get it warm so the wax penetrates deeper into the string
    As for storing the string i think its entirely up to you. I always loosely coil mine so as not to kink it but get it small enough to put somewhere. (when you buy new ones they are usually like that anyway.)
    I dont think temperature really comes into play but i could be wrong on that.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    No one has ever been with me to show me how your to wax your string only from wording give me some feed back .

#2 how many times do you put the wax on the string when it is the first time waxing the string ???.
    #3 after shooting at targets how many times can a person shoot till you have to wax the string again ???.
    #4 Can you twist your string 2 or 8 times in order to tighten up the horse string ??? or are you to just leave it be when you buy the string new leave it straight ???.
    #10 Is it ok to roll up your string to store it or should you leave the string at full length when storing ??? ,If I missed anything please add to the list ,Thanks H-47.
    1. Enough to cover the string but not too much to cause build up
    2. I don't understand this question
    3. Shoot until you see the string has tiny little hairs sticking up then re-apply wax
    4. Depends, the more you twist the shorter it gets. All strings MUST have twists in them so the string works as one.
    5. coil it up loosly and put it into a ziploc bag
    6. Depends you will likely replace your string due to age before wear
    7. Watch for wear and excessive fraying and replace as needed
    8. Room temp
    9. WORLDS BEST STRINGS (worldsbeststrings.com)
    10. Rolling the string is just fine

Hope this helps
    Doesn't matter how old or gangster you are, if a toddler hands you a toy phone, you answer that sh!t

[quote=seanfalloy;881301] And also to wax the slide area is a good idea aswell (if the string contacts it like it did on mine)
    quote]

Careful on this one.....

My Horton, where the string slides on the rail, has a specific "rail lube" made by Horton...Designed to easily slide the string down the rail without rotting out the string....I do not believe its petroleum based....

My FIL tried some "deck wax" from a different company and it slowed the string down considerably and would actually make smoke from the friction....
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Bow Walker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post

1 & 2. Take your tube of wax and rub it up and down the string, covering everything, even the wrapped parts. Get a layer that you can see on there. Take your piece of soft leather (or your fingers) and start stroking the wax into the string. Rub lighty at first to distribute the wax evenly over the string and then rub harder so that the wax melts into the string. Keep rubbing to allow the melting wax to penetrate right into the whole string - deep into the fibers.

3. Frequency of waxing the string and rails is generally a matter of how much you shoot. If you shoot 100 arrows per practice session then I'd suggest waxing every other time you shoot. If you wait to see the string starting to fray (little hairs showing) then it's too late - your string is already dry. On the other hand you could make a habit of waxing the string and rails on a regular basis - say once a month. It really depends on how much you shoot. Your string should feel "tacky" and a bit "sticky" at all times.

4. Your string should always have a few twists in it. If you remove it to wax it, give it a few twists when you re-install it. About 3 to 6 twists should do it.

5. Why take the string off the bow? If you do - coil it up (as tight as you want) and store it it a small sandwich baggy. Make sure it is stored in a dark, dry place that dosen't get a ot of temperature change. You don't want to run the risk of moisture or mold developing.

6 & 7. If you shoot on a regular basis, say once a week, I'd recommend you check the string every month and replace when you see signs of wear. Check over the whole bow at least once a month. Make sure that all the nuts and bolts are tight, check for any signs of wear and tear, lube the rails, wax the string, check the limbs for any small splinters or cracks, and do any general maintenance that is required.

8,9,& 10. Store your string in a cool, dry place that is free from dampness and temerature fluctuations (see answer #5). I have heard the this guy is very, very good. Give him a call and talk about your needs. http://www.worldsbeststrings.com/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfalloy View Post
    And also to wax the slide area is a good idea aswell (if the string contacts it like it did on mine)
    Careful on this one.....

My Horton, where the string slides on the rail, has a specific "rail lube" made by Horton...Designed to easily slide the string down the rail without rotting out the string....I do not believe its petroleum based....

My FIL tried some "deck wax" from a different company and it slowed the string down considerably and would actually make smoke from the friction....
    I did not know that. But it does make sense. I could definantly smell it every time it fired. But i dont have the bow anymore. Sold it.

I found that switching to nylon monofilament serving made my crossbow string serving last a lot longer.

Check out the Excalibur site, they have a pretty good video library, including on on this topic.

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/video

Hey Wayne. Good questions. One question not asked, which you may already know about, but other may not.

What or how should one release the string after hunting?

For example, it is illegal to transport a cocked bow in a vehicle, regardless of whether there is a bolt(arrow) in it. And, when not hunting, you definitely want to release that string. When I bought my crossbow, I was told to have a cheap arrow to release into the ground, as you certainly don't want to dryfire a bow or damage will occur. Here's my solution.

I simply made myself a string or small cord (I used an old deer call string from a call that was no more good, or a shoe string will work fine.) Form a small loop at one end to go around the trigger (my deer call string already had this) and have the large loop to go around your neck. Make sure the length of the string matches your body frame to have a little slack while bent forward but not too loose.

The idea is to place the small loop on the trigger (make sure you have the safety on first and release it only when you are ready) and while grasping the string firmly (exactly the same way as if to cock the bow) hold tightly and slowly straithen up a bit tightning the string and engaging the trigger. You can then slowly release the tension of the string to it's normal position. No firing a arrow, and no wear at all from another shot. I find this works very easy and absolutely great.
    Always EXPECT the UNEXPECTED!

Thumbs up Re: Waxing Your String On A Cross Bow ???.

Best Strings in the business IMHO, and a LOT of useful information for crossbow hunters: http://boocustomstrings.com/

Quick word to the wise here: this man's products are POPULAR beyond compare. He has many many fantastic reviews on the Excalibur Forum: http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2/index.php
    As a consequence if you want one of his strings (I strongly suggest ordering Two!) for NEXT season, you better order NOW! Backlogged over 6 months! WELL Worth the wait!

My ExoMax is somewhat "string hungry" due to it's power. Shot one string now around 200 times, and have already broken a couple of the strands. The Boo Strings are MUCH Tougher and actually Increase your FPS performance once installed. Hoping going to the Flemish Boo String helps address Mad Max's Hunger!

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me