Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buffalo Arrows?

Buffalo Arrows?

I am hoping to take a water buffalo in Argentina with my bow in a few months. I currently shoot Montec CS heads with a total weight of 395 grains. This is being pushed currently at 310 fps. Should I up my weight to 70lbs? Will this arrow work effectivley? Or would you switch it up for something eles? Think of these buffalo as big bison (size and structure wise) that get really upset when poked.

I also plan on trying for my mountain grizz with my bow when I am back. Please discuss.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    Unions and beacon is what I fry the liver in with a coating of flower on the liver ,,I eat the tong,,the hart,, its very good eating......

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Buffalo Arrows?

Wow that sounds like a good hunt man. Im not familiar with how hard those animals need to be hit but this might help you decide if you dont already know about it.

http://backcountrybowhunting.com/articles/calc/

You can calculate the energy that your arrow has upon launch

If you can shot #70, then put it up for sure. Get your arrows up around 500 grn +.
    Everybody will be able to tell you what the very best broadhead is and what NOT to use based on shooting a few deer or hearing stories around the campfire.

Did your outfitter give you a maximum recommended shot distance? That will have a bearing on what head may work best for you.

Sounds like a blast!!
    I harvest carrots. I kill animals.

Hmm. I know so little about this. Do I keep the same spine? These arrows I use now fly really good.

How does one learn all this crap. Guns seem so much easier!

I will try to find out the max distance. The most I would be comfortable shooting would be 40 yards.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    Unions and beacon is what I fry the liver in with a coating of flower on the liver ,,I eat the tong,,the hart,, its very good eating......

Aside from uping the weight of your arrow to at least the 450grn range the single most important thing you muct factor in is your FOC (Front of Center) as this will have a dramatic effect on the penetration you will experiance on such a animal. Some serious real world research conducted by a guy by the name of Ed Ashby has produced some rock solid evidence to back this up! Do yourself a favor and read up on his studies or if you find that too dry a read make sure you have a FOC of at least 20 - 25% to make it count on this hunt!
    Cheers! Have a great hunt!
    Gone Trad....

Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Hmm. I know so little about this. Do I keep the same spine? These arrows I use now fly really good.

How does one learn all this crap. Guns seem so much easier!

I will try to find out the max distance. The most I would be comfortable shooting would be 40 yards.
    What spine arrow are you shooting now? And specifically what arrow shaft (brand & model), length and broad head weight? What's your draw length and peak draw weight?

Every article I've read about guys who have experience with big heavy boned animals is to use a heavy arrow , at least 10 grains per pound of draw weight , so a 70# bow would use a 700 grain arrow . Two blade broadheads give the best penetration. The results are so conclusive there is no room for argument .

http://www.broadheadtalk.com/general...threshold.html

Quote Originally Posted by Slugman View Post
    Aside from uping the weight of your arrow to at least the 450grn range the single most important thing you muct factor in is your FOC (Front of Center) as this will have a dramatic effect on the penetration you will experiance on such a animal. Some serious real world research conducted by a guy by the name of Ed Ashby has produced some rock solid evidence to back this up! Do yourself a favor and read up on his studies or if you find that too dry a read make sure you have a FOC of at least 20 - 25% to make it count on this hunt!
    Great advice. Dr. Ed Ashby is THE authority on arrow penetration on very large game.

An Easton FMJ 340 spine with brass insert and 125 grain broad head from your 70# set up is a good place to start. Heavy shaft, high FOC, and a single bevel, 2 blade broad head just might be the ticket.

I've read his reports and they are exhaustive and thorough, but he is also shooting TRADITIONAL gear. The difference in dynamics between trad and BB's rig are substantial.
    But like I said in my first post, everyone will have a definitive answer.

BB, if you would like my personal opinion, shoot me a pm. No sense getting folks on here wound up for no reason.
    I harvest carrots. I kill animals.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambush View Post

I've read his reports and they are exhaustive and thorough, but he is also shooting TRADITIONAL gear. The difference in dynamics between trad and BB's rig are substantial.
    But like I said in my first post, everyone will have a definitive answer.

BB, if you would like my personal opinion, shoot me a pm. No sense getting folks on here wound up for no reason.
    Traditional gear yes but the simple princials of building an efficient arrow still apply. Thats what Ed Ashby is all about - building an arrow that utilizes as many advantages as possiable to ensure the best outcome. The most effiecient bows in the world still benefit from an arrow that can take advantage of modern compounds. There is no need for BB to go as heavy as a 700grn arrow for sure!
    One of his studies in paticular he demonstrated an equal amount of penetration from a 40lb trad bow compared to an 80lb trad bow. This was accomplished with a lighter arrow but higher FOC.
    In my humble opinion this guyis the absolute authority on hunting arrow dynamics!
    Gone Trad....