Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: arrow weight?

Bow Walker Guest

Re: arrow weight?

nieves - if you're shooting the same bow for both target and hunting then you would be best served by keeping your arrow weights, your tip weights, and your fletching all the same, for both disciplines.

Bucky's Sports in Duncan has quiote a few bows - and you can shoot them to see how they fee for you. Give Richard a call and arrange a time that's good for you (and for him).

i live in sidney, on the island.. wish i lived in the bush :S

tx bow walker :P i will have to keep him in mind, unfortunately im vehicle-less right now so unless i bike there, i prob cant make it out any time soon (which ive done actually! just catch the mill bay ferry and 1 hr bike ride later.. duncansville )

not having a vehicle is very limiting..

but im still gonna do my online homework and get myself organized for when i can get around :P
    look ma!! no hands!! cookies anyone?

Bow Walker Guest

Been there (vehicle-less), it's a major P.I.A. Tons of stuff comes up that requires a vehicle when you're in that position. Murphy's Law.

When I was using my hunting bow for both 3D and for hunting I was careful to keep my arrows exactly the same. Same length, same spine, same fletching, same weight on the tips, and same nocks. That way, while shooting in 3D competitions it was great practice for hunting.

I shoot 100 grain broadheads, so I shoot 100 grain target (or field) tips. The arrow flight and dynamics are identical for both hunting and 3D. All I have to do is to make sure my hunting arrows spin true (with no wobble at all) and my broadheads hit where my field tips do.

Once that happens you can shoot to kill, knowing that your arrow will go where you are aiming. You won't have to worry about a different point of impact between your target arrows and your hunting arrows.

I bought an arrow spinner/inspector made by Pine Ridge. It was inexpensive and it works great. I spin the arrows and check the nock end plus the business end - making sure that there is no wobble at all.

Quote Originally Posted by seanfalloy View Post
    I was just playing with this last night. Really nice (and seemingly accurate) archery calculator

http://backcountrybowhunting.com/articles/calc/

I have only been shooting for a year but from what i can gather your arrow weight should be geared towards speed if you want to only shoot targets and if your going to hunt maybe go with a bit heavier arrow to retain the energy upon impact. BUT always use the same arrows you practice with otherwise you will not know where they are going to hit

Also get arrows Spined for your draw weight ( I shoot Xweave 300 at 70 lbs and my buddy shoots Xweave 200 at 60lbs ) If they are over-spined you wont get the speed or flex needed on release and if they are under-spined they can flex to much and break. I have heard stories of broken arrows going through the bow hand's wrist due to damage and to light of arrows

I think you have your numbers mixed up. An arrow with a lower spine number is stiffer then an arrow with a higher spine number. 300 is stiffer then a 400 for example. If your buddy is shooting 200 spine arrows out of a 60lb bow, he's to stiff for his setup. As I stated on another thread somewheres, take your bow poundage and multiply it by 5. That's your lowest arrow grains that you want to shoot. I multiply by 5.5 just to be safe. My bow is set at 70lbs x 5.5 and you get 385. Use that as your base. On your arrow somewhere, it will tell you how many GPI (grains per inch) your arrow is. Mine are 29 1/8 long at 10gpi giving me 290. Add in a 100 gr tip/broadhead and I'm at 390. My lumenocks weigh 26 grains and fletched weigh around 5. That brings me to 421grains if my math is correct. Which is over my 385gr base. Make sense?

i live in sidney, on the island.. wish i lived in the bush :S

Quote Originally Posted by knockturnal View Post
    I think you have your numbers mixed up. An arrow with a lower spine number is stiffer then an arrow with a higher spine number. 300 is stiffer then a 400 for example. If your buddy is shooting 200 spine arrows out of a 60lb bow, he's to stiff for his setup. As I stated on another thread somewheres, take your bow poundage and multiply it by 5. That's your lowest arrow grains that you want to shoot. I multiply by 5.5 just to be safe. My bow is set at 70lbs x 5.5 and you get 385. Use that as your base. On your arrow somewhere, it will tell you how many GPI (grains per inch) your arrow is. Mine are 29 1/8 long at 10gpi giving me 290. Add in a 100 gr tip/broadhead and I'm at 390. My lumenocks weigh 26 grains and fletched weigh around 5. That brings me to 421grains if my math is correct. Which is over my 385gr base. Make sense?

google-ing furiously...yep.. riiiiight behind ya.. jes gimme a sec for my slow mind to catch up :P
    look ma!! no hands!! cookies anyone?

Bow Walker Guest

knockturnal - your math is right, but I bet your fletching is 5 grains per fletch equalling 15 grains total - not a total of 5 grains.

You would be correct.

I'm thinking that, after referring to the PSE site, a 200 is less spine than a 300. there are some manufacturers that do use a reverse method but not PSE, at least in the xweaves. He is correct in using 300's for 70 lb draw weight.

nom Nom Nom Nom Nom nom..... thats me eating my words. i guess i should have looked at the arrows he was shooting instead of comparing them to mine. you are also correct.

Wink Re: arrow weight?

nom Nom Nom Nom Nom nom..... thats me eating my words. i guess i should have looked at the arrows he was shooting instead of comparing them to mine. you are also correct.
    Carbon is kinda gritty...