Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: arrow weight?

i live in sidney, on the island.. wish i lived in the bush :S

arrow weight?

heres a noob question about target shooting arrows and the broadheads for hunting...

do they weigh the same?? just wondering if i get used to shooting target/practice arrows, will it feel all wonky when i go for a hunt with broadheads? does it just depend on the type/quality of the arrows i get?

its just something i was thinking about today :P

tx for any help!

nieves
    look ma!! no hands!! cookies anyone?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: arrow weight?

They can be of different weight, but that would be not a good idea. You should shoot the same weight whether target or hunting. Be more concerned about keeping the total arrow weight above the minimum recommended for the bow your shooting. Shooting an arrow with a less than recommended weight has the same effect as dry-firing.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    They can be of different weight, but that would be not a good idea. You should shoot the same weight whether target or hunting. Be more concerned about keeping the total arrow weight above the minimum recommended for the bow your shooting. Shooting an arrow with a less than recommended weight has the same effect as dry-firing.

tx jag :P and ill keep that in mind about the minimum weight.. i didnt know that!!

Quote Originally Posted by nieves View Post
    tx jag :P and ill keep that in mind about the minimum weight.. i didnt know that!!
    The arrow minimum grains should be indicated on your bow, likely on the lower limb where the bow weight and drawlength are found. Not all bows will have that information for one reason or another.
    There are formulas for calculating the minimum grains per arrow, I'm sure an internet search would reveal that.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

I was just playing with this last night. Really nice (and seemingly accurate) archery calculator

http://backcountrybowhunting.com/articles/calc/

I have only been shooting for a year but from what i can gather your arrow weight should be geared towards speed if you want to only shoot targets and if your going to hunt maybe go with a bit heavier arrow to retain the energy upon impact. BUT always use the same arrows you practice with otherwise you will not know where they are going to hit

Also get arrows Spined for your draw weight ( I shoot Xweave 300 at 70 lbs and my buddy shoots Xweave 200 at 60lbs ) If they are over-spined you wont get the speed or flex needed on release and if they are under-spined they can flex to much and break. I have heard stories of broken arrows going through the bow hand's wrist due to damage and to light of arrows
    Last edited by seanfalloy; 03-15-2011 at 05:56 PM. Reason: more info, and my damn spelling

Quote Originally Posted by seanfalloy View Post
    BUT always use the same arrows you practice with otherwise you will not know where they are going to hit

that was exactly what i had thought would happen but seeing as i dont even have a bow yet (REAL beginner:P ) and im still trying to read on up on things, i thot id ask :P

tx guys for the info

heres another question!

is it better to just bite the bullet (arrow?? lol) on price and get a new bow or how reliable are used ones? i guess kinda obvious once i typed that one out... hehe

I haven't bought a new bow yet ( tomorow im buying a used PSE treestand GX ). I know alot of people with used bows as well as new bows. I dont need the "top of the line" speed that they boast every year so ill buy used ones at usually half the cost and still be very happy with it

The most important thing is that the bow "fits" you ( eg draw length, weight, balance ect... ) I would suggest going to an archery shop (not a big box sporting goods store) but a place where they live breath and shoot bows. They usually have good used deals as well as alot of information on form and little tips about things to watch out for that you will never get anywhere else. Personally I go to Boormans Archery in New West they know their stuff.

And dont ever be afraid to ask for tips.. Archers are generally quite friendly people

i would love to go to new west.. but its a ferry away!! lol

i tried some training bows with Hermit and TRIED his 60# draw one.. hahaha now that was funny.. he had to help me with it then it suck out like 10 inches past my face, no way that was my fit! lol but made for some good laughs :P

i read here ppl saying to go to places where you can try out their bows, and im assuming that means to actually shoot them? or is it just to get a feel? cuz the only place i know of here is island outfitters and i dont think u can shoot them heehee
    if it were up to me i would love to shoot a few different kinds but not sure if thats how things are done or what

other then that i think theres the malahat range but i dont have any bows of my own to try out! lol

Ya I usually like to let a few arrows go before i commit to buying something just to get a feel for the balance of the bow on release. I dont know if Island outfitters would let you or not. I know back home in smithers there is a small shop run out of a guys basement that has alot of gear and you can shoot and try different configurations before you buy maybe you might have some luck finding one on the island like that.

I can ask around at Boormans tomorrow when I go there and see if they know of anyone on the island.
    I know DarkHorse arrows are made over there and sold through Vantage Point Outfitters (Victoria) so that might be a good place to look.

Quote Originally Posted by seanfalloy View Post
    I can ask around at Boormans tomorrow when I go there and see if they know of anyone on the island.
    I know DarkHorse arrows are made over there and sold through Vantage Point Outfitters (Victoria) so that might be a good place to look.
    haha ya vantage point is with the Hermit and i know ill be getting my arrows from him :P hes a great guy and awesome teacher!
    ill have to ask island outfitters if they offer something like that , cuz i think it would really help me learn waht i want :P