Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: arrow weight?

Re: arrow weight?

I have software that helps me choose my arrow spine, weight and length. It also helps me set up my sites.

My target arrows will weigh as low as I am legally aloud to shoot. 5gr/pound is the lowest anyone should go. Reason I do this is because I don't judge yardage well so I make up for that by owning a really fast bow and shooting light arrows.

My hunting bow will have different arrows that weigh a little more, (like 50 to 75grs more). I can do that because I will have a different bow for hunting then I do for 3d and target.

If you happen to get as obsessed with archery like I have you might own four or five bows like me. I know, crazy eh. Just don't tell my wife.

i live in sidney, on the island.. wish i lived in the bush :S

[quote=Jonas111;881135] Reason I do this is because I don't judge yardage well so I make up for that by owning a really fast bow and shooting light arrows.
    quote]

theres another thing im not good at, im useless when it comes to judging distances and im hoping that it will get better with more experience! is there any tip/trick you guys use to help you with that? or is it something that you learn with time? my distances are usually "too close, close, good, far, too far and you want me to shoot what??"
    look ma!! no hands!! cookies anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by knockturnal View Post
    nom Nom Nom Nom Nom nom..... thats me eating my words. i guess i should have looked at the arrows he was shooting instead of comparing them to mine. you are also correct.
    I didnt even realize till yesterday that different manufactures use different numbers. Just curious what arrow are you shooting. I used to shoot Easton Power Flights and had a terrible problem with them breaking all the time or the insert being rammed into the shaft.

Quote Originally Posted by nieves View Post
    theres another thing im not good at, im useless when it comes to judging distances and im hoping that it will get better with more experience! is there any tip/trick you guys use to help you with that? or is it something that you learn with time? my distances are usually "too close, close, good, far, too far and you want me to shoot what??"
    I find that comes with practice. Also that is why I use the same bow for hunting and 3d. ( i do own 2 bows but one is for my brother to shoot ) I like to use 3ds as a time to practice for hunting. Ranging and pointing to where you need to be to me is the biggest point of archery.

Bow Walker Guest

I usually get a set distance in mind, one which I can readily recall - say 10 yards - and apply that to what ever is 10 yards from me when I'm standing at the shooting stake. Then go in multiples of 10 yards out to the target.

Some people try to judge half the distance to the target and then double it.

Others pick a point out that is easily identifiable - say a tree partway to the target - and use that distance as a multiple to the target.

It takes a lot of practice and effort. Try judging distances when your walking around. Try judging the distance to that telephone pole and then pace it off. Or that parking meter, or that store front.

One thing to invest in is a range finder. They help a lot.

i live in sidney, on the island.. wish i lived in the bush :S

good ideas tx guys for your help, youve all been awesome!! i have a lot to work on now :P
    look ma!! no hands!! cookies anyone?

I shoot 300 spine easton ST Epics but am switching over to FMJs for hunting this year.