Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: moosing w/ a .270

moosing w/ a .270

I've got an opportunity to go moose hunting this fall and would like to use my .270. What factory ammo would you recommend?

thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: moosing w/ a .270

I would go with federal premium vital shock (red box) shooting a 150 grain partition at 2850 fps. I think you should be able to ventilate a moose pretty good with that load.

ps I have killed moose with 150's out of my 30/06 without any problems.
    Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear.

+1 for the 150 g partition, if your rifle does not shoot them well try federal 140g accubond

Maybe try a few different factory offerings to see which your rifle shoots the best. Stay with heavier rather the lighter wt bullets (for moose at least) and your .270 will do exactly what you ask of it, if you do your part.
    “To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”- Voltaire

Put any of the above right behind the shoulder and he's going down .

Id reccomend the Federal Premium load with the 130 grain Barnes Triple Shock X bullet.
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

I have personally put down about a dozen moose with the federal premium in 150 grain nosler partition out of my 270. None went more than 30 yards from where they were hit.

Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Okay everyone but Firebird said to go with the heavier 150gr bullet......So Firebird why lean towards the 130??? Penetration? ??? Other???

I think he's a barnes rep
    Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear.

haha, no, I dont make any money by using Barnes bullets...

but, to answer the question :

they are an awesome hunting bullet, which peform outside what you'd expect a "130 grain" bullet to do. 99% weight retention, deep penetration, good expansion, and normally the TSX is quite accurate.

Federal is the only ammo maker to offer X bullets, and in 270, they only market the 130 gr. load. If they produced a 140 TSX load, I would of reccomended that.

a 150 Partition would work well too, but the X is my first choice!
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004