Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Sheep Plans

Re: 2011 Sheep Plans

Ok i have a question when do you guys go for opener . Im going to be walkin in two days before the season , or should i go a day or two earlier.
    KEEP SHOOTING OR SHOOT A BIG GUN!!!!
    IF YOU DON'T HUNT YOU AINT RIGHT IN THE HEAD!!!!!!!!!
    A SCREAMING ELK THERE'S NOTHIN BETTER!!!!!!
    KNOW WHEN TO KEEP THE WIFE OUT OF MY HUNTING SPOTS !!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by leadpillproductions View Post
    Ok i have a question when do you guys go for opener . Im going to be walkin in two days before the season , or should i go a day or two earlier.
    I feel two days would be plenty. Any longer than that and a guy starts getting antsy and wants to wander the country-side, often doing nothing but pushing/spooking sheep. That's my opinion anyways, others may disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post
    Sure. Bring lots of Tims coffee and Timbits.
    sorry can't meet the standards. don't drink coffee. Gibson's?
    Resident hunter and proud of it!

Do they make a Rye in 0.5%?

Quote Originally Posted by one-shot-wonder View Post
    Do they make a Rye in 0.5%?

not really concerned. I will be the passenger. As long as I don't have to open any gates!!
    Resident hunter and proud of it!

Personally I don't think going into a sheep area before it opens is a good idea , especially if you already have a good idea of where they are. I think the rams take a couple days to figure out there is more human activity in the mountains and if this happens to be the two days before the season there is a good chance they may leave the valley your in. I am speaking from experience on this one. My first sheep trip my partner and I thought we would go up the hill 3 days before opening do some glassing in hopes to find the rams before opening day , then we would sit on them until opening. This plan backfired as we spooked 7 rams at a 100 yards while looking for a spot to put our tent. Four were legal one for sure was book and maybe another. If it had been open that day we would have both gotten great rams. Instead we got to watch them trott down into the timber never to be seen again on this hunt. I did get a nice 37.5 full curl opening morning on the next mountain , but he wasn't even close to size of the big rams we saw 3 days before. I think getting close to your ram spot the evening before so you can check it out opening morning at first light is your best bet. You can also use the early hunters to your advantage because of this. If you notice vehicles or quads parked at a drainage a couple of days before season use your maps to figure out how to get to the drainage behind the one they are in. Be there opening morning and I think you will see rams.
    These are just my thoughts I know not every sheep hunter will agree.
    Mike

Last edited by moose2; 03-17-2011 at 10:00 PM.

What we figured to do is give us 1 full day to spot them the day before season opener . This a new area for me so 1 day to hike in should do it .
    KEEP SHOOTING OR SHOOT A BIG GUN!!!!
    IF YOU DON'T HUNT YOU AINT RIGHT IN THE HEAD!!!!!!!!!
    A SCREAMING ELK THERE'S NOTHIN BETTER!!!!!!
    KNOW WHEN TO KEEP THE WIFE OUT OF MY HUNTING SPOTS !!!!!!!!!!

sounds good well i hope you have good luck
    Mike

Makes sense to me Mike.
    Sounds like you need to hit that spot again !
    Originally Posted by averagejoe
    thats pretty cool. i bet you get close to those cats some time when there low in the tree hey. when do they have kittens?? do you ever see baby cougars in the tree or do they hide in her pouch?

Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle
    ....I guess some peeps think a mother griz is like a crack whore ready to drop her baby at the first church door she sees...funny

What we figured to do is give us 1 full day to spot them the day before season opener . This a new area for me so 1 day to hike in should do it .
    that is a good plan.........plus if things go sideways on the way down (vehicle trouble what have you) you have a buffer.