Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Eating Waterfowl?

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Re: Eating Waterfowl?

Never had concerns or problems with waterfowl anywhere throughout the Interior or Cariboo, but will only shoot geese, widgeon, or pintail along the fish-spawning streams on the coast or Fraser Valley.

after watching FOOD INC. you should be more worried about what you buy at the markets
    WOW, I'm watching it now on youtube. speechless.

Here's the link if anyone wants to watch, its broken down into 7 or so parts.
    part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEmIEEQOHpY
    Last edited by KB90; 03-12-2011 at 12:54 PM.

I like to soak the breast meat in some salty water then marinade [mainade optional] for about a day. The salty water will take away any gamey or fishy taste and the marinade will give you the flavor that you may or may not want. Then get your BBQ up to about 350 and thhow em on for about 4-6 minutes a side. Take the breasts off the grill and cut into 1 inch strips and wrap the stips in bacon. If you have wood chips bonus this will golden the bacon to perfection. After the final grilling/smoking, enjoy...and you will. This method works good for the kind of duck we see here in the Ladner area and besides you can really impress your guests when serving as an appitizer with some plumb sauce. Good luck and have fun when October finally comes.
    One time somebody asked me "Can I call you a cab?" and I replied "Ya if I can call you an idiot."

Yes...your fears are misfounded. Go kill a few ducks and try this recipe. Then go kill some more!! Good luck.

Cut the breast meat into strips like this. Rinse them off real good and dry off the excess water on a towel.

Then heat up a cast iron pan with olive oil in the bottom till it's good and hot! You can be sure it's hot enough by wetting your hand and flicking water into the oil....when it sizzles like the pic, you are ready for the meat.

The meat goes in while the heat is still up.

Sprinkle some salt and coarse black pepper on top for flavor.

The meat will start to lose water to the pan like this.

At this point, you should drain the water off in a strainer.

Cook the meat just a bit longer and repeat the straining process one more time.

Once the meat has been strained a second time, fill some tortillas with a portion of meat some grated cheese, and drizzle on some enchilada sauce. (not shown in pic)

Roll them up and lay side by side in a baking dish/pan. Cover the top generously will more enchilada sauce. Sprinkle some more grated cheese on top.

Bake until the cheese on top has melted.

Serve with a dab of sour cream and enjoy!!

Note: Recipe works great with either red or green enchilada sauce. Hope you try it.

Jon

god my mouth is watering!
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

I've tried many recipes, some are better than others. Waterfawl can make great sausages and burgers. Fish eaters will of course taste a lil fishy. Best advice I ever read about cooking waterfawl, "Cook it exactly how you cook your steak!" Fire up the bbq, wait till its nice and hot, toss on the waterfawl, a lil freshly cracked black pepper. Cook till medium rare. MMM MMM good. I've ate many this way. Might mix it up with a lil bbq sauce occasionally. I always thought you had to cook it well done till I read that advice

"A rifle hunter's hunt is over at 200yrds, a bowhunter's hunt is just beginning at 200yrds."

"Train Hard, Hunt Easy."

"A bow hunter in a week will learn what a rifle hunter learns in a lifetime."- Fred Bear

Some of the oldtimers down at Stillwater Sports also told me if your gonna marinade to some ginger in the the mix. This is will forsure get rid of any muddy or fishy taste.
    One time somebody asked me "Can I call you a cab?" and I replied "Ya if I can call you an idiot."

I was driving over the Golden Ears bridge into Langley a few weeks ago with my father in-law and he says to me, you see those ducks down there, remember not to shoot those ones next hunting season. I asked what kind they were I didn't get a good look and he says they are shitducks

I found it kinda funny

Quote Originally Posted by TheProvider View Post
    I always thought you had to cook it well done till I read that advice
    Most if not all wild game, because of the naturally low fat content, will be dry when it is cooked well done. For this reason it should be prepared rare.