Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Alpine Mule Deer Hunting

Re: Alpine Mule Deer Hunting

Saw the biggest deer of my life in the alpine this year. Took me 7 trips to see a deer. If you think a spot is good, It most likely is.

For anyone looking at hunting muleys above timerline for the first time I would recommend they pick up one of two books, Hunting High Country Mule Deer by Mike Eastman or Hunting Public Land Muleys by David Long. Mikes book was out of print for a while but I heard they reprinted it recently. These books aren't rocket science for guys that have been doing it for a long time, but they are for guys who have never hunted the highcountry before.

After that, I recommend you pick a few areas that intrigue you and then go explore them in the summer, spending a lot of time behind the glass at the most critical times of day, 4:30-6:30 am and 7:30-9:30 pm. Preseason scouting is the best way to learn where the bucks are and where they aren't.

Dana, I have been trying to find that buook by David Long, did you order a copy oniline?
    Make Your Own Luck

I would imagine the Eastmans Hunting Journal website would have David's book. Monster Muleys.com would also be another spot to check. I know they were carrying it a while back. If you can't find it at those 2 websites, check out Amazon.com.

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

I have both those books that dana is refering to and they have lots of great info,pick up David Longs dvd's also some great footage and ideas on alpine hunting,
    If you buy Longs book it has a dvd inside the cover which goes over gear essentials for alpine backpack hunts.

www.eastmans.com
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Quote Originally Posted by muledeercrazy View Post
    x2

if not further past the average joe, then wherever the average guy isnt.

I have never shot a booner buck, so i dont claim to be an expert. I do disagree with alot of guys on here. Hard work alone will often get you nowhere. You have to work hard, and have a plan. Working smart makes alot of difference. That, or just being lucky. That has worked for me! When i run out of luck and have to rely on smarts i might be in trouble.. Apparently the big mulies are smart and elusive. By big i mean 175 plus.. Anyone can luck into 160 class bucks, done it a few times myself!
    So true, one of the biggest whitetails I ever saw was shot in the guys backyard in the middle of the day and the middle of the season

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Quote Originally Posted by spear View Post
    Dana, I have been trying to find that buook by David Long, did you order a copy oniline?
    Public Land Mulies
    By David Long
    19.99 on eastmans website under shop eastmans and than at the bottom of the page book # 5
    www.eastmans.com
    Last edited by Weatherby Fan; 03-07-2011 at 09:42 PM.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

how is the alpine for lml black tail

Quote Originally Posted by Don_Abbate View Post
    Im gonna go extra hard on google earth then try to get out to those areas and do some scouting this summer.
    Thats what I did a few years back....heres what i found when I did the hike!
    http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=38169

One of the best things Ive learned about alpine hunting in recent years is to spend the night up there.....I see the most deer in the first and last hour of daylight!
    Hunt to live-live to hunt!

wow nice buck mark, great info from everyone thank you.

So do these Alpine bucks stay in the alpine mostly in the early season or do they ever find there way down lower.