Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Alpine Mule Deer Hunting

Re: Alpine Mule Deer Hunting

Good sources are backpacking websites and provincial parks.

Once you find a likely spot go for a camping in July/August and do some looking around.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

is it true that mulies can be found in similar places as goats in the alpine

I have read a lot of hiking forums to research the fraser valley access points to some high up places and theres lots of hikers talking about all the beautiful bears and deer they see and they completly disclose the locations if you get my drift

Quote Originally Posted by Don_Abbate View Post
    is it true that mulies can be found in similar places as goats in the alpine
    Yes they CAN..."can" being the operative word.

Goat country isn't the best place hunt alpine deer, so I wouldn't limit myself to that. Unless you have a goat LEH and are hoping to combo hunt.
    "I've seen grown men pick at food. They can't be hungry in the first place. Or maybe their food has been too fancy and with all the choices they've had, they don't really know what they enjoy anymore." - Dick Proenneke

Quote Originally Posted by frenchbar View Post
    Find a spot and go check and scout it out in the summer get to know the terrain ...if you see game go back opening day..they will still be around .
    ^^^
    x2.

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.
    My HBC Photo Gallery: http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showg...sername=mrdean

I will be headed up to scout mule deer this year in the alpine I will take my back pack, dry food ,spotter ,field glass ,small tent.

Spend 3 or 4 days scouting the area out for mr big ..
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

Frenchbar, Ive shoot a couple deer on that hill, or should I say mountain. I proposed to my current wife at the base of it.

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

We start scouting for Mule Deer in late June as long as the snows gone,depending where you go a headnet for mosquitos can help as they can be very bad to non existent,
    We try to key in on South facing slopes or bowls and areas with burns as it seems to attract deer with lots of feed.
    Get up as high as possible sit down with a good view and glass,glass and glass some more and have your spotting scope at hand.

It's always better if your above them,watch your wind,don't skyline yourself and don't polute the bowls your scouting/hunting by walking through them,
    If possible creep up in the timber or on the backside of the hills you want to glass.
    I hunt a huge south facing bowl every year with great success,we backpack up through the timber and and camp on the Northeast backside of the bowl,every morning one hr b4 it lightens up I climb over to the front/east side of the bowl with coffee in hand and sit in front of the same alpine shrub where I can glass the whole bowl,
    During hunting season if not disturbed we have shot 4 points or better still feeding at 10am or later.
    If it's still very hot during the day(early Sept) the deer we hunt in this area feed out of the bowl and bed on the north side of the bowl where its cool in the timber.
    There is tons of Alpine in BC so you should have no trouble finding some to scout and then hunt as long as you don't mind hiking.

WF
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Decent mulies seem to be where ever you happen to find them. I guess the further you are in past averge Joe the better.

Quote Originally Posted by .330 Dakota View Post
    Decent mulies seem to be where ever you happen to find them. I guess the further you are in past averge Joe the better.
    x2

if not further past the average joe, then wherever the average guy isnt.

I have never shot a booner buck, so i dont claim to be an expert. I do disagree with alot of guys on here. Hard work alone will often get you nowhere. You have to work hard, and have a plan. Working smart makes alot of difference. That, or just being lucky. That has worked for me! When i run out of luck and have to rely on smarts i might be in trouble.. Apparently the big mulies are smart and elusive. By big i mean 175 plus.. Anyone can luck into 160 class bucks, done it a few times myself!