Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Alpine Mule Deer Hunting

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Re: Alpine Mule Deer Hunting

If were hunting a few days (Sept 10-15) in the alpine we would skin it, quarter it, cheese cloth it and hang the quarters in a tree that has shade and wind if possible and have never lost a deer,this is at 6000ft of elevation and daytime could be 25 deg but frost or freezing at night.
    7-6.5 PRCW the best cartridge since the 280 Ackley 👍

How about wrapping the hanging quarters with the saved hide during the day to keep the nighttime cold in and heat out? Or is that just starting to get silly and am I getting paranoid about nothing. Thought I read somewhere here about someone wrapping hanging meat with one of those emergency blankets during the day.

Quote Originally Posted by hookedonblacktails View Post
    How about wrapping the hanging quarters with the saved hide during the day to keep the nighttime cold in and heat out? Or is that just starting to get silly and am I getting paranoid about nothing. Thought I read somewhere here about someone wrapping hanging meat with one of those emergency blankets during the day.
    What we do is quarter the animal, hide off, and start to cool it right away (you should be quartering it anyways to get this alpine muley out of the back country!). Start by laying the quarters out on rocks, hang from trees etc while you are processing the animal. This will let the residual heat in the meat start to come out. Then on comes the cheesecloth for packing the animal back to camp (which breathes very, very well). Once back at camp hang each quarter separately, making sure that they are not touching anywhere (use a meat pole, branches etc.) Hang the meat in a place that will get shade all day if possible, or figure out a way to make shade. Worse comes to worse I have buried meat in the snow, and sunk it in a creek to keep cold, but my go-to is just straight up hanging in the shade in cheesecloth. We have hung countless elk in September (sometimes 20+ during the day) this way for close to a week at times and have never had anything spoil. Our only issues are blow flies and the odd bear strolling around camp. The only animal I've ever had bone sour was a mule deer late season when the temperatures dropped close to -30C. I think the outside of the deer froze so quick that the heat around the bone wasn't able to escape...
    Take a deep breath and enjoy your life.

The heat is in the bone. Debone the meat ASAP and you won't have issues with souring. It also cools faster if it in smaller chunks, not full quarters. Air cool at night and shade during the day all within game bags and you are normally good for several days. I've had snow in the high country on opening day more times that I've had hot weather.

I was in that general area last year on opening day, it was an easy -5 at night and didn't warm up too much during the day. Do as others have said and you'll be ok. If it comes down to it, just pack out early. Your better off having good meat from one buck than risking it for the chance at a shooting second.

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherby Fan View Post
    If were hunting a few days (Sept 10-15) in the alpine we would skin it, quarter it, cheese cloth it and hang the quarters in a tree that has shade and wind if possible and have never lost a deer,this is at 6000ft of elevation and daytime could be 25 deg but frost or freezing at night.
    Highly recommend you don't use cheese cloth - flies blow right through it. Invest in some good meat bags or use pillow cases. Also like Dana suggests de-bone asap and you should be fine for a few days.
    Live to Hunt...

After reading all this good information about alpine mule deer hunting, one thing I am curious about is how hunters approach the mid day hours in the early season (say first or second week of Sept). During the heat of the day, do you just hunker down and glass or do you move around and check out the transition areas between the timber and alpine? Do you find the bucks usually making predictable movements during this time?...like sleeping?

Take a nap. Getting up for first light and staying out till last light will wear you out after a few days. Siesta is your friend.

Yup, naps are your friend. It's a long day from light till dark with the first 2 hours and the last 2 hours being your most productive glassing timeframe.

I am also novice with the alpine hunt but can give a couple words based on my limited experience:
    Make as many trips as possible early into the area you choose...where is the water? where is the best camp local? where are the deer
    For us surfase water was an issue...we took note of the last source of water and packed in as far as possible then filtered and filled up at the last possible point and packed the extra weight for the last couple k climb.
    Boil water a few minutes longer than you would normally...boiling point is diferent at altitude...luke warm dehydrated meals nots tasty especially when there is rice...
    IMO meat should come off the bone. I got some good advise here to pack the deboned meat into game bags in smallish chunks that will cool easily...twist the bag inbetween chunks like your making sausage...use string or twine to tie off, hang in a shady cool spot and this will make the pack out a little less 'messy'.
    "I just want to see the other side of that ridge...around the next bend....down that nasty little trail..."