Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Alpine Mule Deer Hunting

Re: Alpine Mule Deer Hunting

sounds interesting cant wait to get out in the field this summer and apply these tips

Quote Originally Posted by MattB View Post
    Are you guys actually referring to the arctic birch as seen in this photo? At least i always thought it was arctic birch...
    Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    Matt,
    I've always known that as ground birch but I didn't go to college to learn mass amounts of Latin plant names. I'll have to dig out my Plants of Northern BC book and see what they call it in there.
    OK Guys!!.........With your line of work......I thought you would have known better!!!!.........For God-sakes.....its easy to see thats it's actually....."TUCKAMORE"!!!.....come on guys!!

Perry
    The man who smiles when things go wrong....has thought of someone to blame it on!!

Light travels faster than sound!......He looked pretty bright.....Until he spoke!!

Have you seen bucks leave the high country before the does? How do you tell the difference between a migration trail and a trail that is used to more or less travel from bed to feed/water?

The secret to hunting high country bucks -hike to a none quad accesable mountain top that you can glass from=less pressure -camp there for several days with a quality spotting scope and watch from first light to last light - a spot where you can see many good drainages -in a known muledeer area- look for round mountain tops =more minerials in the food = bigger racks-sharper tops = less min-another place to look for is a burn - pattern their movement-and ask your self why the animals do certain things -why are they avoiding the sun=why are they using those travel ways-to bedding- etc -think food -water -when they loose there velvet=they still live in the same core area -then once spotted find the safest way up there for your spot and stalk-and remember spend your time glassing in july and aug when the bucks are in there red summer coats =their way easier to see! Oh ! and if you guys ............... quit smoking that could help too

Quote Originally Posted by Husky7mm View Post
    Have you seen bucks leave the high country before the does? How do you tell the difference between a migration trail and a trail that is used to more or less travel from bed to feed/water?
    For the most part, does are attracted to different summer habitat than bucks. Why? They need different feed as they are nursing. Bucks choose feed that is good for antler growth. So with this in mind, does ain't common above treeline. Sure you'll see the odd yearling doe that followed twin brother up the mountain when he hooked up with a batchelor group. When you do see does is when they are migrating and they have to travel some mountain passes to get from the summer range to the winter range. This is where the migration trails are deep and look like cattle trails or horse trails.

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    For the most part, does are attracted to different summer habitat than bucks. Why? They need different feed as they are nursing. Bucks choose feed that is good for antler growth. So with this in mind, does ain't common above treeline. Sure you'll see the odd yearling doe that followed twin brother up the mountain when he hooked up with a batchelor group. When you do see does is when they are migrating and they have to travel some mountain passes to get from the summer range to the winter range. This is where the migration trails are deep and look like cattle trails or horse trails.
    Depends on the area. Some areas have groups of does until October and some of the spots even have wt does in them now. Granted they are almost always separated 'on the mountain' does do live in the high country in some areas.

One other note is not to confuse mule deer migration trails with mountain goat lick trails. Some of the goat trails are 3-4 ft wide and cover several miles through the timber. One spot I can think of where the mule migration trail is about a mile north of the goat trail and it would be really easy to confuse the two.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

GG,
    That is why I said "For the most part". I have too seen doe groups in the highcountry, but that isn't normal summer habitat for does.

Ive seen does up high lots of times. Some years its 50/50 but most its about 85% bucks. The one area I go always has does but mostly bucks. The bucks tend to be in the rocks or just below where the vegetation ends. I never see any does with any fawns, I never thought of why that was but what Dana is saying maybe the reason.
    Last edited by dino; 04-04-2011 at 09:32 PM.

Post Re: Alpine Mule Deer Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by grizzlydueck View Post
    The secret to hunting high country bucks -hike to a none quad accesable mountain top that you can glass from=less pressure -camp there for several days with a quality spotting scope and watch from first light to last light - a spot where you can see many good drainages -in a known muledeer area- look for round mountain tops =more minerials in the food = bigger racks-sharper tops = less min-another place to look for is a burn - pattern their movement-and ask your self why the animals do certain things -why are they avoiding the sun=why are they using those travel ways-to bedding- etc -think food -water -when they loose there velvet=they still live in the same core area -then once spotted find the safest way up there for your spot and stalk-and remember spend your time glassing in july and aug when the bucks are in there red summer coats =their way easier to see! Oh ! and if you guys ............... quit smoking that could help too
    Ive tried it all and read every book on it I can find. I'm looking for a little more, I want to know all I can and more. It seem like theres a big gap in between early sept and late october, and I want to be able to hunt all of it. I'd like to see a 160 mule deer during open season and be able to pass it up for something better. All my big mulie sighting are right before the season and right after and beleive me I have wore out some boots and glassed till my eyes have just about fallen out.

Quote Originally Posted by Husky7mm View Post
    Ive tried it all and read every book on it I can find. I'm looking for a little more, I want to know all I can and more. It seem like theres a big gap in between early sept and late october, and I want to be able to hunt all of it. I'd like to see a 160 mule deer during open season and be able to pass it up for something better. All my big mulie sighting are right before the season and right after and beleive me I have wore out some boots and glassed till my eyes have just about fallen out.
    From my experience the best hunters hunt smarter not harder. I used to be the same way I wanted to hunt every moment I had. I soon took notice of when the accomplished guys went out and I followed suit. This resulted in more productive time and I didn't burn out my best spots.

I live and hunt in Manitoba so the hunting is different but I believe the ideology to be the same. For example, I will hunt opening week for velvet whitetails which is the last week of August and possibly into the second week. I will then lay low and wait until the last week of October before I hunt my prime spots. In the meantime I try and fill a doe tag or two until then. Or even hunt elk or moose during that time. I would imagine you could do the same thing in BC.

Another observation, if you have not shot a 160 " mule deer why would you pass it up? My advice would be to shoot some of those 160" bucks and then hold out for goliath. Hope this helps.