Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Alpine Mule Deer Hunting

Alpine Mule Deer Hunting

Hey Everyone, I was just wondering if I could get some advice for hunting Mule Deer in the Alpine. I know there are many seasoned and very knowledgeable hunters on HBC, and this topic, so I'm pretty lucky for that. I have never hunted the high country before, but it looks like something that is very addicting and an amazing experience. NO SPOTS NEEDED JUST INFORMATION ON THE PROCESS and important factors. Thanks alot. Don

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Alpine Mule Deer Hunting

Lilloett, Lyton type country is great for nice alpine. Look on the maps for road access to get close to the alpine and hike. Summer scouting from below may produce deer sightings. Once you hit the alpine nothing else compares. Get a suitable backpack and be prepared to bone your animal out for transporting it out. Spot and stalk is the game in the alpine. Try to approach deer from above. They usually bed facing downhill. Morning air currents rise as well. If you hunt the early season you will find groups of bucks in velvet. A mulie in velvet is a beautiful animal. Have fun.

once your camped...i usually camp at treeline..for obvious reasons ,wind protection ..firewood ect,...get out of bed early and climb up where you can look over a couple basins without having to move to far..get your self hidden away...and start glassing at day break..the muleys useually graze till roughly 9.00 am before bedding down..once you spot what your looking for ..keep close tabs on where he lays down ..pick out some land marks close to where he lays ..will help once you start your stalk.weather also plays a big part in where the bucks will bed ..a lot of times when its hot out you will find them right up near the top lying in the wind exactley where you wouldnt think they would be ..so never let your guard down..you will bounce them out of spots you would never expect them to be...in the evenings i tend to look near the edge of the treelines.i find the best is to sit and be patient. a lot of times the bucks will get up to stretch and change bedding spots during the middle of the day ..so all i can say is glass ..glass..and more glassing and patience.
    Midnight toker

get the right gear
    -Lightweight gunaholic
    -Half of a Human Pinata
    -Bear Kung-Fu Master
    -Gatherer of the Elk meat

Quote Originally Posted by swampthing View Post
    Lilloett, Lyton type country is great for nice alpine. Look on the maps for road access to get close to the alpine and hike. Summer scouting from below may produce deer sightings. Once you hit the alpine nothing else compares. Get a suitable backpack and be prepared to bone your animal out for transporting it out. Spot and stalk is the game in the alpine. Try to approach deer from above. They usually bed facing downhill. Morning air currents rise as well. If you hunt the early season you will find groups of bucks in velvet. A mulie in velvet is a beautiful animal. Have fun.
    X2

Just waste your life away on google earth like the rest of us. LOTS of alpine in BC, as stated there's lytton, there's the Coq, there's the koots, and lots else.

Glass lots!

Don't forget that not all the big bucks will be up top in the nice open alpine, always watch the treeline too.

Midnight toker

A Alpine muley my son took in 08 using the spot and stalk method..from the time we spotted him and stalked in and took him was about 1 hr.lots of belly crawlin !
    Midnight toker

Thanks guys. Frenchbar thats a great buck your son took in some beautiful country, thanks for the help. Ive been using google earth to try and get a better understanding of the alpine and how to access it. Im not sure if the spots I hunt now will be the best or if i have to explore a little more. Mostly hunt deer in region 3 and 8

Im gonna go extra hard on google earth then try to get out to those areas and do some scouting this summer.

Find a spot and go check and scout it out in the summer get to know the terrain ...if you see game go back opening day..they will still be around .
    Midnight toker