Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: Alpine Mule Deer Hunting

Re: Alpine Mule Deer Hunting

You're welcome guys... so, who thinks mule deer will be at that elevation come early Oct? Will that optimal forage back in Aug now lose some of its nutrition due to frost etc, forcing the majority of the bucks to lower elevations?

Quote Originally Posted by ekul246 View Post
    Man the pics of the alpine in this thread just get my adrenaline going! Makes me want to run out there right now!

Wanting to get in to my first alpine deer scouting trip. Perused this thread and there is so much useful information here. Anyone attempted alpine mule deer in 3-16? Couple spots I’m wanting to try but I’m wondering if Nahatlatch FSR is open? The rec sites heading in from Boston Bar are still showing they are closed due to flood damage. Any one know if that is still the case? Is there a time frame for it to be reopened if it is still closed?

I’m considering 3-16 because it isn’t too far from me.
    When I checked last week it wasn’t open.

I spent five days hunting the high alpine in 3-16 at the start of the month. Was lots of wolf sign and very little deer sign. Take from that what you will…
    If it cant be done with one shot, it shouldn't be done.

"grab large claw hammer - put against butt cheek , pry head out of ass with claws...then go back to school..."

It all depends on the weather and the area. Some areas have deer move out once the first storm hits and snow sticks. Can be as early as mid September. In my opinion and experience deer still stay in alpine areas until October but closer to their winter range. I have hunted in mid and late October trying to get to alpine areas in region 3. Once snow is above your knees, no more deer. Frost or cold temps are nothing to deer, it's the snow that dictates their movement.
    There is still more food in the alpine than usual due to delayed summer. But, yes, if it freezes and vegetation dies off, deer will get moving...

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    You're welcome guys... so, who thinks mule deer will be at that elevation come early Oct? Will that optimal forage back in Aug now lose some of its nutrition due to frost etc, forcing the majority of the bucks to lower elevations?

Quote Originally Posted by hickman View Post
    It all depends on the weather and the area. Some areas have deer move out once the first storm hits and snow sticks. Can be as early as mid September. In my opinion and experience deer still stay in alpine areas until October but closer to their winter range. I have hunted in mid and late October trying to get to alpine areas in region 3. Once snow is above your knees, no more deer. Frost or cold temps are nothing to deer, it's the snow that dictates their movement.
    There is still more food in the alpine than usual due to delayed summer. But, yes, if it freezes and vegetation dies off, deer will get moving...
    OK good to know, thanks man...from my experience in a completely different area, once there was even half a foot of snow and the frost hit, the deer were already pursuing lower country..

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    Its been a minute since I hunted the alpine of BC for the apple of my eye, the mountain mulie. I now hunt elk and whitetail in the northern jungles and swamps of Alberta.

Each area is different depending on the winter range accessibility. Some deer go up and down as the snow comes and goes. Some stay till its to there bellies, and some leave at the first skiff of snow. I believe I had heard where you moved to was the last one, first skiff. The cold and frost makes some plant MORE palatable to the deer, it needs the frost to cause the plant to go from toxic to nutritional. I can’t remember which one they are but a quick google will tell you. Where I live now young willow and alder leaves are very attractive to all ungulates when they start to turn golden.

Some good advice shared already for sure. Some local biologist have knowledge of mulie migration patterns for certain areas. Just have to google or email them.
    If the world is warming why are there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why do you demand special treatment?

You can not comply your way out of tyranny.

Fire them ALL!

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    You got some Nice Bucks to post up ? RJ
    He actually does and if I didn't screw up on Saturday we would have had a nice one down. Now go back to your armchair.
    Hunting the promised land

Quote Originally Posted by Husky7mm View Post
    Its been a minute since I hunted the alpine of BC for the apple of my eye, the mountain mulie. I now hunt elk and whitetail in the northern jungles and swamps of Alberta.

Each area is different depending on the winter range accessibility. Some deer go up and down as the snow comes and goes. Some stay till its to there bellies, and some leave at the first skiff of snow. I believe I had heard where you moved to was the last one, first skiff. The cold and frost makes some plant MORE palatable to the deer, it needs the frost to cause the plant to go from toxic to nutritional. I can’t remember which one they are but a quick google will tell you. Where I live now young willow and alder leaves are very attractive to all ungulates when they start to turn golden.

Some good advice shared already for sure. Some local biologist have knowledge of mulie migration patterns for certain areas. Just have to google or email them.
    OK thanks man, appreciate it..

When you are talking about the vegetation and their nutrients Dr. Valerius Geist mentions this in his book
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Quote Originally Posted by brotherjames View Post
    Hey Fellas,

I thought it might be worth asking. I'm at my wit's end with hunting blacktail as I reach my fifth year of getting nothing since I started hunting at the coast. I am a transplant from region 4 and I am used to hunting deer in the Rockies. I am going out the next few weeks in the hopes of getting a mule deer to fill the bottom of the freezer and I'd like to focus my attention on one of these possible areas.
    1) Texas Creek Rd South of Lilloette (I know it is closed going into Moly but I am thinking of cycling in to see how close I can get)
    2) Mount Thynne near Coldwater or Henning Peak near Britton Creek.
    3) Flat Top Mountain near EastGate and Placer Lake.

I would be grateful for any feed back or direct messages with other suggestions.

good luck.
    I've hiked/camped around flat top/Placer lake once, when you get high enough there's a good view of a burn, the burn looks to go quite a ways, and there is another section that has got some alpine slope..so it could potentially be productive...as mentioned earlier, really utilize your glass..

Wow Amazing country! I made it up to Flat Top mountain and approached it from two angles. Amazing views but very little game.
    Here are some pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Flat Top.jpg 
Views:	398 
Size:	20.9 KB 
ID:	8817   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Placer lake.jpg 
Views:	406 
Size:	22.6 KB 
ID:	8818