Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 60 or 70 lbs

Re: 60 or 70 lbs

High poundage bows are for guys with lil' ............ with todays Cam designs a 60 pounder will send arrows as fast as mid-lates 90s/early 2000s 70- 80+ pounders with the same weight of arrow. and kill just as if not more efficiently as they are built with a higher brace height and shorter power stroke with an easier to shoot bow.

Yes I just bought a 70 pounder and own another 70 pounder ... but shoot them it about 63, the new one I dont know... Its so smooth and the draw is such that it doesnt feel like 70 I might shoot it at 65 (with a 350 grain arrow I should get 320 out of it ... at 65 pounds its said I will get 318 with a 325grainer ...my software says I will get 311 at 63 and a 339 grainer ..... my 60 pound max I shoot at 50(ish) (281FPS with a 339 Grain arrow)
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

Talking Re: 60 or 70 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by Bowzone_Mikey View Post
    High poundage bows are for guys with lil' ............
    Yes I just bought a 70 pounder and own another 70 pounder ... but shoot them it about 63, the new one I dont know... Its so smooth and the draw is such that it doesnt feel like 70 I might shoot it at 65 (with a 350 grain arrow I should get 320 out of it ... at 65 pounds its said I will get 318 with a 325grainer ...my software says I will get 311 at 63 and a 339 grainer ..... my 60 pound max I shoot at 50(ish) (281FPS with a 339 Grain arrow)
    Hahaha, what are you telling us? You don't seem to shoot a 60 pound bow..

To the original poster. Be sure and let us know what you end up going with and how you feel about your decision a couple months later. Most of the guys make a valid point about modern bows being sufficient at 60 pounds. I still maintain that a 190 pound lacrosse player probably won't be "over bowed" at 70 pounds peak draw weight.

As for all that technical stuff mikey dumped on you about grains and feet per second don't worry about it. Some guys talk that way when they re trying to compensate for other "short comings"

Go to a local 3-d shoot and chat up a few guys to try a few different draw weights. I think a 60 is plenty and shoot that myself. I shoot 55 lb in trad and can hold that for quite a while so my decision isn't about macho strength stuff but form.
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Quote Originally Posted by brad ferris View Post
    To the original poster. Be sure and let us know what you end up going with and how you feel about your decision a couple months later. Most of the guys make a valid point about modern bows being sufficient at 60 pounds. I still maintain that a 190 pound lacrosse player probably won't be "over bowed" at 70 pounds peak draw weight.

As for all that technical stuff mikey dumped on you about grains and feet per second don't worry about it. Some guys talk that way when they re trying to compensate for other "short comings"

I have seen guys that go to the gym quite a bit struggle with a 60lb bow when they first get it. In fact I bought my brother a 60lb and had to turn it down to 52lb so he could get used to it.

When you first get a new bow I would HIGHLY recommend going down to a 60lb to start, and turning it down until you build up the muscles needed to perform the shot properly.

i shoot a 70+ bow and would i buy another?nope.
    i would go with a 60 also,mainly when you cold and cramped and tired that 60 lb bow is just that much more easier to draw.
    plus after driving a arrow thru a mulie at 40 yards and finding the arrow about 30 yards on the other side after going thru it,i dont think you need that good of penetration,lol.

Quote Originally Posted by troutseeker View Post
    Hahaha, what are you telling us? You don't seem to shoot a 60 pound bow..
    you totally have no clue as to what i said ...its ok tho ...continue triing to be funny
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

my hunting bow is 70lbs , I have no desire to change it anytime soon, my 3D bow is a 60lb bow works pretty good , my spot bow is 60lbs turned down to 48lbs , For you and your new bow, and with your size both 50-60 and 60-70 will work fine, again as always , shoot whats comfortable for you.

Bow Walker Guest

There's a lot of stress and strain that goes into pulling a bow. The more you do it and the longer you do it that stress can start to wear on the body - even with good form. Plus, as a person gets older that 70 lb bow will feel like a 90 lb bow. Trust me on this, I'm living it.

A 60 lb bow can be set to the low 50's for starters. Learn to draw, aim, hold, and release properly. Practice until your form is easily repeatable in all types of weather. Then bring the poundage back up to the bow's max.

You'll be much more comfortable, you'll be able to shoot at 3D's all day long and not get tired, and when you're hunting in the cold you'll still be able to draw your bow easily and quietly. Essential skills if you want to be successful.

Buy a 70. You can always turn it down to the low 60's

If you buy a 60.... you gonna turn it down to 50? I don't think so.

Yes 60lb bows of today shoot fast but, today's 70lb bows also draw like yesteryears 60
    "One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted..." Jose Ortega y Gasset