Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 60 or 70 lbs

60 or 70 lbs

i am going to buy my first bow [pse rts]I dont know if I should get a 60 or 70 lbs pull any thoughts.I'm 5'11" and about 190 lbs ok shape.Thanks for any input.

2. Site Sponsor

Bow Walker Guest

Re: 60 or 70 lbs

A 60 lb max. is plenty for both hunting and/or target archery. With the poundage maxed you'll probably get soomething in the order of 61 - 63 lbs out of it. That'll kill anything.....even foam targets.

thanks thats what i was leanning towards

you can kill anything in north america with a 50 pound bow

If you are just starting out don't over bow yourself
    Promoting the sport of Archery and Bowhunting
    NCCP and IBEF Certification

Custom Knives and Game Calls

Quote....."Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid"........John Wayne
    Quote....."It is far better to be alone than in bad company"........ George Washington

Start with a 60lb pull... or even lower. When your first starting out, its better to start with an easier pull, so you learn proper technique right away. You are going to want to practice alot, and can shoot a lot more arrows with a lighter poundage.
    Once you have proper form and your muscles are accustomed to it, then bring up the poundage.

I'm going to recommend a 70 pound bow. Your a big enough guy that you should be comfortable shooting that. You have 50 pounds on me and I shoot 72 pounds. Dial it down to 60 for starters until you build up those specific muscles. I suspect if you buy the 60 you'll be wanting the 70 by next year. One other point I'd like to make is buy your bow from a professional archery shop. Being new to the sport you'll want someone who really knows how to properly set you up with gear and shooting technique. Good luck and welcome to the sport.

What Brad said! You can dial you bow down a bit but you'll never be able to go above it's max poundage...

My bow does 70 pounds but I have it at 65.

ive shot a 70 pound bow since ive been fourteen. but i also have shot since ive been about five so i knew how to pull it back without hurting myself. if i were you i would probably start out with the 60 pound bow. with the technology around today 60 pounds is still sending the arrow at very fast speeds.

My First bow was a 70lb bow because I thought I could turn it up when hunting. Well I turned it up and it really doesnt give you anymore advantage. SO needless to say, I sold that bow and now my hunting bow will not be over 60lb max.

SO much smoother and easier to draw. Plus easier to hold.

Good luck and enjoy.

I bought a 70 pounder last year, and glad i did. I had to dial it down to learn to shoot it-but once i developed the form i dialed it up. You 'd be surprised how fast 60 lbs gets easy.
    A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.