Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 243 for sheep?

Re: 243 for sheep?

Quote Originally Posted by paw325 View Post
    I just bought a 240 Weatherby that I plan to use for sheep and deer. Planning to use Barnes 80gr TTSX in it.
    Yes, but when purchasing a new rifle for this purpose, the overwhelming majority of Weatherby shooting riflemen would have opted for the .257 Wby Mag. The less recoiling .240 Wby Mag is generally reserved for youths, women, and uh, umm, well....., a certain "less masculine" type of guy! Generally the same type of guy who experiences a midlife crisis and trades their cummins in on a ford...., or their cat in on an rmk.

Do you happen to know the number for a cab company for the Kamloops area????
    Here's to the land of diamond hitches, packers and cooks, the Ol' Son$ofbitche$.......... Skook Davidson

Quote Originally Posted by leadpillproductions View Post
    The one thing to consider is you will be in g-bear country
    Thats what your for.
    Some people call them hunting hounds, I call them cross country sight seeing guides

Quote Originally Posted by cavebear View Post
    Thats what your for.
    Ya i guess , I will hide the beer in your pack lol
    KEEP SHOOTING OR SHOOT A BIG GUN!!!!
    IF YOU DON'T HUNT YOU AINT RIGHT IN THE HEAD!!!!!!!!!
    A SCREAMING ELK THERE'S NOTHIN BETTER!!!!!!
    KNOW WHEN TO KEEP THE WIFE OUT OF MY HUNTING SPOTS !!!!!!!!!!

243 is pleanty to take out many animals from deer to moose and elk you just have to hit it properly. my dad used a 243 and killed many deer and moose and a couple elk and has never wounded and animal with it. so just make sure you can shoot strait!!!!

22 years ago, the young guy that ran riverboat on a drop hunt on the Colville River out of Umiat, Alaska carried an 18.5" barrelled M600 .243. By the time I left Umiat he had collected a 55" moose and a darn nice grizzly with the gun. He was shooting core-locs are far as I can remember. He said that was the gun everyone on the north slope used. They had all upgraded from .222's!

I did shoot a 58" moose with my bow on the trip.......and come to think of it, his .243 had a lot more range than my old bow, and both got the job done!

Blockcaver.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisky Creek View Post
    Yes, but when purchasing a new rifle for this purpose, the overwhelming majority of Weatherby shooting riflemen would have opted for the .257 Wby Mag. The less recoiling .240 Wby Mag is generally reserved for youths, women, and uh, umm, well....., a certain "less masculine" type of guy! Generally the same type of guy who experiences a midlife crisis and trades their cummins in on a ford...., or their cat in on an rmk.

Do you happen to know the number for a cab company for the Kamloops area????
    Who keeps letting these Trolls on here, mods please ban him.......

Kami Kabs 250 3825 968

Troll? That's what you will be doing in that new "found on road dead" truck.... Fords... Polaris..... I knew you grew up a little too close to that eastern border back home! Maybe you should get one of them "1/4 caps" for the truck and paint yours and the wife's name on her door too!

Sorry to the poster for the moderate highjack; the .243 will work dandy for you!
    Last edited by Whisky Creek; 03-05-2011 at 12:35 PM.
    Here's to the land of diamond hitches, packers and cooks, the Ol' Son$ofbitche$.......... Skook Davidson

I remember a video with Bart Lancaster who was shooting a thinhorn sheep with a .300 wm and when asked why such a caliber.... he got that BART LANCASTER grin and said" no tracking "

.243 will work just fine...

steven

Quote Originally Posted by bruin View Post
    Sheep are pretty thin skinned, and like GG said, they're kinda sissies!
    Most of the time the guys packing big calibers for sheep are either worried about bears or they're doing a mixed bag kinda thing.

Yep. I use a 300WM. Overkill for sheep.
    doesnt matter what kind of bullet it is, as long as it weighs 180 grains its DEADLY, even on ass shots....Todbartell-2009

Almost any smaller caliber will drop any thing out there like I said in the past its the shot placement that counts..
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..