Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 243 for sheep?

Re: 243 for sheep?

The 243 is an excellent cartridge.

However I wouldn't be overly confident using it for self defense at 2:00 am with an angry g-bear.

In my books, bigger is better when it comes to self defense...cuz there ain't no time for surgical precision.
    "I've seen grown men pick at food. They can't be hungry in the first place. Or maybe their food has been too fancy and with all the choices they've had, they don't really know what they enjoy anymore." - Dick Proenneke

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Doesn't take a cannon to pop a set of lungs.......any 6mm will do it with ease
    I agree with Will , this is a great answer for many debates in the past , i.e. caliber choice , bullet choice etc , take out the lungs and your good.
    Last edited by Ruger4; 03-06-2011 at 04:57 PM.

I have a concern on the .243. I know it's taken plenty of game over the years but here's a recent experience with our group.

We were riding back around dusk on the Churn and a young buck crossed the road we were riding on. I dismounted, glassed him and verified his size and told my uncle that there wouldn't be a much easier buck to deal with than that one as we were within an hours ride of the horse trailer.

The deer was at best out 140 yards and starting to move away. My uncle dropped to one knee while I held his reins and shot the buck. It humped up like they can do and went straight into high gear never looking back and went over the edges. I looked for blood seeing none where he was hit but was still certain that he was shot. Lack of daylight prevented further looking for him but we returned to the area in the AM.

After several hours of peering into the various ledges and benches etc I actually found him. Unfortunately he required a dispatch. We felt bad of course but were happy to have located him.

The initial shot went in on a quartering away angle just touching his rear left ham and stopping in his right shoulder. It think it was a 115 grain bullet, don't recall the type but the lack of energy simply didn't create the hydraulic shock that would have finished him immediately.

Needless to say, my uncle bought a .300 that year and has never looked back.
    WSSoBC Monarch Gold
    WSF Summit
    Grand Slam #1810
    GOABC Life
    SCI Life
    WSF CA Life
    WSF MT Life
    RMGA Life

Quote Originally Posted by David Heitsman View Post
    I have a concern on the .243. I know it's taken plenty of game over the years but here's a recent experience with our group.

We were riding back around dusk on the Churn and a young buck crossed the road we were riding on. I dismounted, glassed him and verified his size and told my uncle that there wouldn't be a much easier buck to deal with than that one as we were within an hours ride of the horse trailer.

The deer was at best out 140 yards and starting to move away. My uncle dropped to one knee while I held his reins and shot the buck. It humped up like they can do and went straight into high gear never looking back and went over the edges. I looked for blood seeing none where he was hit but was still certain that he was shot. Lack of daylight prevented further looking for him but we returned to the area in the AM.

After several hours of peering into the various ledges and benches etc I actually found him. Unfortunately he required a dispatch. We felt bad of course but were happy to have located him.

The initial shot went in on a quartering away angle just touching his rear left ham and stopping in his right shoulder. It think it was a 115 grain bullet, don't recall the type but the lack of energy simply didn't create the hydraulic shock that would have finished him immediately.

There's no substitute for shot placement.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

Shooting an animal in the ass with a 300 magnum won't give much different result than a 243.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post
    Shooting an animal in the ass with a 300 magnum won't give much different result than a 243.

Fisher Dude...this time "succinct" ie right to the point..

steven

There's the problem. Thinking that hydraulic shock kills. A poorly placed shot is a poorly placed shot, .243 or .300.

Hopefully it aint windy as those little bullets move quite a bit more in a strong mountain wind and when you see your once in a lifetime trophy at 500 yrds or more and your pea shooter just doesnt have the musterd id be amping up. Interesting to know how many guys actually go out shooting when its windy to really see whats happening

iI

i

I have a concern on the .243. (think it was a 115 grain bullet), don't recall the type
    i dont think they make a 115grain bullet for a 243. the biggest i can find for my 243 is 105g that you have to re load, off the shelf is 100g, but i could be wrong.