Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DARKWOODS! Great news!

Thumbs up DARKWOODS! Some good news!

I've been quietly pestering the Nature Conservancy ever since I found out they bought out Darkwoods for conservation purposes. (I have been a supporter for years, and seem to get some nice prompt replies. Worth the money IMHO)
    As many know, there has been a No Hunting policy in effect since the old owner, a German Baron, bought it years ago.

I have sent several letters to them over the past year. The following is my most recent:

Subject: Darkwoods
    To: bcoffice@natureconservancy.ca
    Date: Thursday, February 17, 2011, 10:50 PM

Hello again:

I was in touch with your office re: Darkwoods a while back, concerning whether or not legal huntiing seasons might be observed in the area.
    I was told ''Not at this time, due to the previous owners' wishes' (paraphrased)

As you well know, Darkwoods is one of the last strongholds of Mountain Caribou in BC, and the species is highly at risk. While I respect the owner's wishes, I'm not sure he realizes how much at risk the 'Boo are.'
    What I'm getting at is that the Caribou have a much greater chance at making it in the medium and long term if predator hunting is allowed there. Wolves, bears and mountain lions all exist in Darkwoods, and take their toll on the herd.
    Just for discussion at your next meetings: Would you be interested in allowing a small number of hunters into Darkwoods for predator control in order to mitigate herd predation on the endangered Caribou there? I'm sure you have Biologists you consult about such matters, so please feel free to gather all the info you can. I know many responsible, ethical hunters that would be willing to go and reduce the predation on the Caribou herd.
    Please let me know
    XXXX XXXXX

And here is the most recent response: (Today)

Hi again Mr XXXXX

Thanks for this email as well. I remember your questions about hunting on Darkwoods from a while back.
    You will be pleased to know that we have now completed the property management plan for Darkwoods.
    The management plan states that “Access for non-motorized hunting will be phased in on portions of the property in cooperation with the BC Ministry of Environment.”
    You can read a summary of the management plan here: http://www.natureconservancy.ca/site/DocServer/Darkwoods_PMP_summary.pdf?docID=5621
    If you have any questions about this I encourage you to contact our Canadian Rockies Program Manager, Nancy Newhouse (cc’d). She will be able to speak in more depth about NCC’s work on Darkwoods.
    All the very best,
    Lesley ____________________________
    Lesley Marian Neilson
    Communications Manager, BC Region
    Nature Conservancy of Canada

On the link, a PDF document, scroll down to page 13 if you wanna cut to the chase. I'm assuming the ''No Access'' areas are the caribou habitat, but it's a start! I guess I wasn't the only squeaky wheel.
    The Dude Abides.
    Last edited by The Dude; 03-05-2011 at 01:03 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: DARKWOODS! Great news!

Well done Dude, persistence seems to have paid off.
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Finally, some good news out or the wk- nice job!
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

Excellant Dude You deserve a White Russian
    BCWF
    CCFR

“I prefer the saddle to the streetcar and star sprinkled sky to a roof, the obscure and difficult trail, leading into the unknown, to any paved highway, and the deep peace of the wild to the discontent bred by cities…it is enough that I am surrounded by beauty.”
    - Everett Ruess

It is good news. Non motorized will be quite restrictive in that country. It will be interesting to see how they define that.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    Excellant Dude You deserve a White Russian
    I'll take that Caucasian, and buy you one! (I see someone else has seen the movie)
    Just so we're clear, I'm just one of the tiny squeaky wheels in this, but the lesson is if we unite , we have a voice! We tend to get down on ourselves for not pulling together, but if everyone makes their voice heard (backed by votes and dollars) we can accomplish great things. I'm going to look into it further to find out what actually motivated this change of heart. Needless to say, I'll keep my small monthly donation to the Nature Conservancy. They are definitely NOT anti-hunting.

They sure went into a lot of detail on the hunting......my guess is a small portion over by Creston will be open, long time you be waitin before they open other area's Me thinks.
    -Lightweight gunaholic
    -Half of a Human Pinata
    -Bear Kung-Fu Master
    -Gatherer of the Elk meat

Quote Originally Posted by Brambles View Post
    They sure went into a lot of detail on the hunting......my guess is a small portion over by Creston will be open, long time you be waitin before they open other area's Me thinks.
    Hey, it's a start, right? We got our foot in a door that seemed permanently closed. Just have to make sure no jack-a$$es screw up and ruin it for the rest of us. If we behave as ethical, responsible hunters then we should get new opportunities.
    I'll try to find out all I can, and update as I get new info.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    I'll take that Caucasian, and buy you one! (I see someone else has seen the movie)
    Just so we're clear, I'm just one of the tiny squeaky wheels in this, but the lesson is if we unite , we have a voice! We tend to get down on ourselves for not pulling together, but if everyone makes their voice heard (backed by votes and dollars) we can accomplish great things. I'm going to look into it further to find out what actually motivated this change of heart. Needless to say, I'll keep my small monthly donation to the Nature Conservancy. They are definitely NOT anti-hunting.

Good job, Dude...the foot's in the door.
    And, I'm also with you on the idea of a "united front of hunters" in BC with one strong voice. In my experience, it's the only way we are going to have future hunting (and fishing) opportunities here in BC.
    "To fair-chase hunt, shoot straight, respect, speak the truth, and enjoy the wilds of B.C. in a way few ever experience." —Bushman

Good job
    You are right about a united front, Strength in Numbers