Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting in Okanagan

Re: Hunting in Okanagan

If you want a 270, I'd go with the 270 Win. Reasoning for this you don't need a magnum. The 270 Win is capable of anything the WSM will do. You are a new shooter/hunter, you don't need the extra recoil for a little speed.

Ammo for the 270 can be had at Wall Mart, Joe Blows gas and groceries, WSM from the sporting goods store. Bear Lake Petrocan gas station and store sells 270 Win ammo, they don't sell 270 WSM ammo. Don't fall into this "you can't kill a moose unless you use a magnum" hype. I do most of my hunting using my 257 Roberts.

Shot placement is more important then speed. If your rifle is kicking your ass your not going to put that bullet where it's suppose to be to make that kick humane kill.

I am getting a Browning X-Bolt Stainless Stalker .270 WSM with a Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9x40 Scope.

What do you think?
    I own the Abolt stainless stalker,

Awesome gun man, you wont be disapointed. I have shot 10+ deer with it
    And a moose.

Shells are a little pricey, but hey, once you get it sighted in, I maybe shoot 10 rounds a year, so who cares.

its a hot load, flat shooting,

Great deer, goat, sheep, bear gun, with the ability to kill moose/elk if you choose, even though maybe a little light

A lot of great calibers out there that will fit your needs for a very long time, it is always hard to choose just one. If your really set on the 270 caliber then go with the 270win. Your ammo will be $10-$15 a box cheaper from the WSM, and no disrespect to snareman, but as a new shooter/hunter you will want to shot a little more then 10 rounds a year. Becoming a good shooter takes practice and time. The more you can get out there and shot and get to know your gun, the better.

It will only be a matter of time until you will be wanting another rifle anyway. So now that you have some experience with shooting and you feel more comfortable, go get your magnum.

You can also take that bit your saving on ammo and start to purchase some of the other things that you will be needing as a new gun owner and hunter, like a good cleaning kit and rifle case etc.
    God said to Peter, " Kill and Eat." Nuff Said!

and no disrespect to snareman, but as a new shooter/hunter you will want to shot a little more then 10 rounds a year. Becoming a good shooter takes practice and time
    none taken, you are right for sure, the .270 win. would probably be a better choice, as a new hunter, you will want to shoot lots!!

Plus it will be super exciting to shoot lots for yea, and you dont want to break the bank, I pay around 60-80 for 25 shells, which is not a good idea for lots of shooting.

I am buying my gun from Robertson's clothing and dealing with Grant. He is giving me a good deal on the set up and said he will change anything I want too within the days that I have not used the gun which could be anywhere from 1-2 months since I have to send my PAL away on monday.

I have a .22 already for shooting lots as the bullets are a dime a dozen. I know where you guys are coming from when you mean I will want to shoot a lot as every hunter needs to practice, it doesn't matter how good you are. I know this because talent only goes so far. 25% talent, 75% determination.

I will look into the caliber's more and do some research! Thanks Ya'll
    Its not all about the kill, The real joy and pleasure is in the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by C.Groves View Post
    I am buying my gun from Robertson's clothing and dealing with Grant. He is giving me a good deal on the set up and said he will change anything I want too within the days that I have not used the gun which could be anywhere from 1-2 months since I have to send my PAL away on monday.

I have a .22 already for shooting lots as the bullets are a dime a dozen. I know where you guys are coming from when you mean I will want to shoot a lot as every hunter needs to practice, it doesn't matter how good you are. I know this because talent only goes so far. 25% talent, 75% determination.

Good choice heading to Robertson's. Uncle Grants a great guy to deal with and gets you set up perfectly!

Quote Originally Posted by nolan-sawka View Post
    casey hit me up anytime ill take you out. go for bear this year i know some sick spots for big boys and when sept comes you can def come alog check my pics on fb and see a few deer iv got theres alots more i dont have on there
    Ya Nolan will take ya out if you can get him away from Level and Flashbacks on the weekends haha!

Hi Casey, good choice with Robbertson's. Grant is a standup guy who can order anything you want and will stand behind his products!

Next time you see him say him from that french cop Claude...

Quote Originally Posted by nickroth89 View Post
    Ya Nolan will take ya out if you can get him away from Level and Flashbacks on the weekends haha!
    hahahahahaha! your there just as much and you go to the ral pretty much the gayest place ever!

I am thinking of getting a Browning X-bolt 30-06, any suggestions?
    I think that is a great idea. The .270 you mentioned is great, but the .30-06 will give you a little better versatility in the long run. You can comfortably take down every big game animal from little white-tail deer to northern Bison with the .30-06. Additionally, great choice going with the X-Bolt. It has an excellent recoil pad that will help to reduce recoil while you're learning to shoot.
    Don't get me wrong, the .270 is great but you will probably find yourself wanting to go bigger after a hunting season or two. With the .30-06, you never actually have to go any bigger in this province, although if you get the "bug" you probably will!
    Enjoy!!!!
    Patiently waiting here on my roof for the mob of Zombies. Can't wait!!!