Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting in Okanagan

Re: Hunting in Okanagan

If you want a place for both whitetail and mule deer not a long ways from Kelowna but has fair to good mule and whitetail deer country try ..............
    MU 8-21 .. Whiteman Creek -- Pinaus Lake .. both places amazing .. Pinaus is crazy .. with hunt country
    Drive in from Westside Road along Okanagan Lake, also from near Falkland.
    This area has been logged of beetle kill years ago and is prime for deer habitat with new growth rising up for feed. Wide open in some spots heavier bush in others, hunt above the I.R. and your in big buck country.
    Roads can get snotty after a good rain or melt but the country is amazing to the hunters eyes. Ravines and ridges and logged area from years ago.
    Both deer up on the Whiteman creek and some willy wonkerz
    JP .. More gun .. so big I went .......................silly Bonkerz
    Last edited by Jelvis; 02-28-2011 at 10:11 PM.

yeah im sure we could work something out if you wanna just shoot me a pm anytime

Quote Originally Posted by brazen View Post
    Hey Casey and nolan, I'm in Westbank, totally green, could go get my number this week but not taking firearms till end of April. I'd LOVE a hunter's view of the backroads, if you guys might want an extra pack hauler and question asker ever, if it might work out. I have a LOT of questions. I can be quiet for long periods of time but I have to shift my feet. Would like to learn some of the ropes come fall without bothering anybody too much. Need a tour guide, might be more enjoyable with somebody else new? I'm a girl though, if that matters, and not the hardiest rock climber or anything, but I can carry some weight. What say?!

Quote Originally Posted by Jelvis View Post
    If you want a place for both whitetail and mule deer not a long ways from Kelowna but has fair to good mule and whitetail deer country try ..............
    MU 8-21 .. Whiteman Creek -- Pinaus Lake .. both places amazing .. Pinaus is crazy .. with hunt country
    Drive in from Westside Road along Okanagan Lake, also from near Falkland.
    This area has been logged of beetle kill years ago and is prime for deer habitat with new growth rising up for feed. Wide open in some spots heavier bush in others, hunt above the I.R. and your in big buck country.
    Roads can get snotty after a good rain or melt but the country is amazing to the hunters eyes. Ravines and ridges and logged area from years ago.
    Both deer up on the Whiteman creek and some willy wonkerz
    JP .. More gun .. so big I went .......................silly Bonkerz
    Jelvis, thanks for all your help and suggestions! I really appreciate it! I hope I will have all my licenses back in the mail by Bear Season.

I don't know if I can shoot a bear just yet, maybe, we will see when the time comes. BUT I will be more then happy to join on a trip Nolan!

I was just at my Evening #1 of my course and I am just getting amped up for the season to start.

I am thinking of getting a Browning X-bolt 30-06, any suggestions?
    Its not all about the kill, The real joy and pleasure is in the hunt.

Well a 30-06 is a great caliber and so is a .270 or a .308.
    If your doing some moose hunting a .30-06, .270.
    There are occasional moose sightings on the western edge of Reg 8.
    in mu's 8-06, 8-07, 8-09, and out in 8-12, 8-13, 8-23.
    .. always check the season your hunting in with up to date B.C. Trapping and Hunting Regulations. Also check each new code for any leh hunts for moose in Reg 8.
    Moose tend to move towards clear cuts and need water sources close by.
    Jel ..
    Last edited by Jelvis; 02-28-2011 at 11:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jelvis View Post
    Well a 30-06 is a great caliber and so is a .270 or a .308.
    If your doing some moose hunting a .30-06, .270.
    There are occasional moose sightings on the western edge of Reg 8.
    in mu's 8-06, 8-07, 8-09, and out in 8-12, 8-13, 8-23.
    .. always check the season your hunting in with up to date B.C. Trapping and Hunting Regulations. Also check each new code for any leh hunts for moose in Reg 8.
    Moose tend to move towards clear cuts and need water sources close by.
    Jel ..
    Yeah I am going tomorrow to look/price out rifles. I am thinking from .270 to 30-06

I just downloaded Google Earth for my macbook and am going to label areas that I am going to scope come spring.

I wonder if there is a download for hunters that would show the MU's.

If it was me I'd go .270 over the ott six. Lot's of speed and speed kills, accurate, tight groups, good trajectory, reaches out and lot's of real good hunters use .270.
    The o6 is great also but for deer, sheep, bear, moose a .270 is more than adequate.
    You guys and gals want black bear how about Mabel Lake MU's 8-24 and 8-25
    Black bear are everywhere and good whitetail deer hunting with some muley.
    Black bear numerous throughout MU 8-23 Lumby-Harris Creek .. go up Harris Creek road or Sugar lake road
    Good luck bar hunting in MU's 8-23, 8-24, and 8-25 the black marauderz ..
    Reg 8 rocks
    Last edited by Jelvis; 03-01-2011 at 12:15 AM.

get a 7mm rem mag no problem finding shells seeing as grouse rivers in town and it'll out do the .270, super flat shooting fast. thats what id go with but then again i shoot a .338win mag rippin 300grains haha

The size of caliber is important to choose based on animals you hunt for, thin skinned medium boned like deer, elk or sheep.
    If your after Grizzly go odd six and bigger, 7mm, 300's.
    The point to make is a well placed bullet from an accurate shot in the vital area is also important.
    You want to start hunting around K town, then follow the posts on that subject and pick where you feel is sticking out at you like BAM! That's it.
    If you want excellent deer hunting for mostly mule hey, take a jaunt out to MU 8-12 in the west Kettle
    This countries got it all for the deer hunters from the entire North American continent open park land just think and imagine open park land entwined with deep ravines and rocky ridges can be reached from all sides, n,e,s,w, I think that covers all sides lol, heck Hwy 33 between Kelowna and Rock Creek intersects the dang thang for much of it's length.
    The Conkle Lake road is Looky's old first picker. He said, "Son." He called every one son. The Conkle Laker road cuts through it, ah the hunting country runnin like a pole-cat from Hwy 33 near Beaverdell over dee highlands to come out on hwy 3 near Bridesville and excellent mule deer hunting all the way and whitetail shakin their tail feathers. I even seen moose once in a while, now there shortened the season on the mule early to protect dem during late fall, ok.
    Thanks Looky, bless his soul.
    That's it for now I gotta go look after a certain someone.
    Jel .. Region 8 is cool

Quote Originally Posted by C.Groves View Post
    I wonder if there is a download for hunters that would show the MU's.
    This does it in Google Earth
    http://archive.ilmb.gov.bc.ca/dm/wms...nt_Species.kmz

Whole bunch more neat stuff on the web page
    http://archive.ilmb.gov.bc.ca/dm/wms/index.html

I went to Robertson's the other day to look at some firearms that I am interested in and have made my final decision!

I am getting a Browning X-Bolt Stainless Stalker .270 WSM with a Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9x40 Scope.

What do you think?