Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting in Okanagan

Hunting in Okanagan

Hey Guys,

I am actually starting my CORE & PAL course today, I am getting super excited as I have always been enthused about hunting and fishing.

I live in Kelowna and was wondering if anyone could give me tips to area's that they know are a good starting spot. Walking in, Drive in, it don't matter.

Thanks!
    Casey
    Its not all about the kill, The real joy and pleasure is in the hunt.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hunting in Okanagan

Go out for spring bear from april-june 15

South facing slopes, anywhere open and grassy.

up highway 33, off the side roads,

or in christian valley I saw some bear.

Try bear creek on the west side.

Casey hey. Region 8: Okanagan +++ Kelowna area +++ In MU 8-11 for instance
    In MU 8-11 reached from Hwy 97 through Westbank, or from the Peachland-Kelowna backroad.
    mu 8-11 has special bow season and it like ah is quite popular some say the best in the whole fam damily.
    Heavy duty leh otherwise so go for a leh of some sort in MU 8-11.
    This is a close mu by Kelowna also
    MU 8-10 Kelowna-Winfield east Hwy 33 shoots down the middle of 8-10 go McCulloch and Pipeline roads for a toad ( big animal )
    Logging mains hangin off HWY 33 pass through real good mule deer and whitetail hunting so that should keep you busier than a one armed paper hanger.
    Don't forget Winfield area hunters are real good at what they do so get to know a hunter from Winny Field, wood be great for you, but be patient.
    The Beaver/Dee Lakes road in from Winfield which is on hwy 97 the beaver-dee road runs like a deer through good (good) dingy dong deer hunting both kinds, BAM! You keep going you come out on Hwy 6 at Lavington.
    If you like mountain hiking style hunting for deer, this whole area will knock your socks off.
    I'll give yah one more jellypick for knottinck lol ..
    MU 8-08
    If you like Summerland, Trout on a Darke Lake there's a segway ..lol
    I pick the Brenda-Mine road from Peachland runs into good mule deer ridges in 8-8. use map.
    Can try Kathleen Mountain or Glen Lake area too .. fair deer hunting ..
    if you want to see a super mule deer late season hunting area head up the Bald Range once and flip your wig.
    You drive high above Trout Lake through range land on your way, drive half way down the Bald Range then go to the top of the ridge on an old road. Lots a hunters but hey why are they there? lol. Ding Dong!
    Jelly Picks for Kay town area Kay Loan Ah Kelowna B.C. Region 8 ..
    I can give yah all of em if you say any tutherz?
    Last edited by Jelvis; 02-28-2011 at 04:39 PM.

Just remember to leavethe dirt jumpers at home!

Personally I would hunt on the west side of Okanagan lake for whitetail and for mule deer either single or combined. check BC hunting reg's.
    Or try East of Penticton MU 8-09 hey good whitetail and mule hunting try in from Okanagan Falls, connect with 201 Main hunt the Okanagan Mountain and any burned over areas with in the last eight years around Kelowna for deer or elk. once again check gos and leh.
    Head up the Chute Lake road up from Naramata best place for elk and the deer are there with the elk.
    Jelly pickerz .. Go up the Chute .. Chute Lake Road for a joy ride ... in 8-09
    Last edited by Jelvis; 03-06-2011 at 02:58 PM.

If you're hunting alone, make sure someone knows where you will be hunting. Include all areas intended so if you are not in your prime choice, at least searchers will know your other choices.
    Get to know an area, pattern your game. You can only do that by hiking and observing.
    Whitetails are sneaky, they will circle behind you if you jump them, they have to be pushed hard to vacate their "neighbourhood".
    Mule deer on the other hand will book it for the next mountain.
    Learn to have patience and avoid chasing them. Deer have a tendency to not look up, but that doesn't mean that you can skyline yourself, if you're at the top of the hill, walk below the crest.
    Go right along Gordon Road, right on Dehart, left on Lakeshore, left on Chute Lake Road. Find a parking spot and start hiking.
    Belgo Road area too.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Why not take a pre-scout up the Vernon way it's no problem driving up.
    ..MU 8-22 hunt like a King's kid up King Edward lake area drive the logging roads for mule deer and whitetail and their both good in here if yah hit it right on.
    Also up Aberdeen Lake area whoa knarly man, come in from Lavington using good log road which meets the Beaver-Dee Lake road. Lot's of friendly hunterz. Willy Waylon and the Boyz .. they got it
    MU 8-22 .. catch22 .. Vernon .. pheasant under glass .. succulent quail .. morning dove .. in the valley ..
    Last edited by Jelvis; 03-17-2011 at 11:16 PM.

casey hit me up anytime ill take you out. go for bear this year i know some sick spots for big boys and when sept comes you can def come alog check my pics on fb and see a few deer iv got theres alots more i dont have on there

If you get a chance to hunt this area of MU 8-11 if it's in your Powers creek up to your Shorts Creek lol, two hints right there. lol.
    We're talkin Westbank - Westside Road
    Just south of Westbank a decent road climbs up from Hwy 97 to the old Last Mountain ski hill connecting with Peachland-Kelowna back road 24km along near Lamby Lake. About 3 k b4 that junction a rather rough road heads over to Jackpine Lake. All good mule deer hunting in this above area.
    Good bow hunting country for deer ..
    You can continue up hill to Pennask Lake for some good hunting for deer.
    or by hunting along the Esperon Main, which branches out into the network of roads.
    Don't shoot the California sheep up Shorts Creek lol no open season ......lol
    Jel compare this 8-11 to my last 8-11

Hey Casey and nolan, I'm in Westbank, totally green, could go get my number this week but not taking firearms till end of April. I'd LOVE a hunter's view of the backroads, if you guys might want an extra pack hauler and question asker ever, if it might work out. I have a LOT of questions. I can be quiet for long periods of time but I have to shift my feet. Would like to learn some of the ropes come fall without bothering anybody too much. Need a tour guide, might be more enjoyable with somebody else new? I'm a girl though, if that matters, and not the hardiest rock climber or anything, but I can carry some weight. What say?!