Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Spear hunting questions

Re: Spear hunting questions

Just the thread I was hoping to pop up on here! I've been watching vids on Youtube by the user worldhuntinggroup for their show "Relentless Pursuit", and hot damn, do I wanna learn to spear-hunt! A couple good vids of them taking buffalo, an elk and I think a boar hog or two with a spear from Cold Steel. :P Pretty fun to watch!

Tim Wells is one hell of an archer, too!

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    I've snuck up on lots of bears with only a knife or a spear but I was just doing penetration tests.
    There's a joke in there somewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by Barracuda View Post
    If you use hounds you will be a target and scrutinized.

A sectional Pike on a treed bear would work well i think.

The Bravodo adds depth to the tale and is really entertaining,
    keep it up it should make for a good story.
    Depending on the terrain and type of trees in the area the hounds wouldn't necessarily guarantee success. Just off the top of my head I can only recall 2 maybe 3 bears that treed low enough to effectively jab with a spear. As far as a sectional pike goes it might work but if the bear is comfortable in the tree chances are he'll just swat the spear especially if it's too long to maneuver quickly.
    Treeing a bear and then pulling the hounds back for a jumpout while the guy with the spear waits at the base might provide an opportunity but I
    can see that getting really western in a big hurry.

Best chance of success and a small measure of safety would be to set up a low treestand along a good bear trail leaving a salmon stream. Predator calls and patience would follow.

Just make sure you have a piss before you charge the bear with your stone age weapon...a soggy crotch would be embarassing on a guy!
    I hope you're going with a few friends that have spears and one that has a .338 Win Mag? Bears have a tendency to get irritated when you poke them with a sharp stick! My stetson is off to you and Gatehouse, you guys just make sure you protect your family jewels, if thieves are stealing copper I'm sure they'd love to get their paws on a bunch of solid brass balls!
    B.C., PRE-NDP, formerly the best place to play! Cogito, ergo armatus sum!

had several less then 20 ft up a tree which is reachable with a pike had em walking bayed on the ground but far more dangerous.

As far as being unweildy i would guess thats where practice and strength come in as the soldier of old were reputed to be pretty effective with them.

next time you get one up try pokeing it with a stick, banging the tree or chucking something at it to make it move.
    If they dont bail they very often get bitchy but stay there if they are treed for good .

I have called in bear really close but they literally appear and dissapear so i dont think you would have time to stick them. (treestand might be better then a blind)
    There are also bears that dont care about humans and you could probably crawl really close if they are preoccupied.

While we are putting Daves neck on the line (safety what safety) i say put him in a kilt and give him a claymore and bayed up bear in open rangeland

look forward to the youtube video
    “Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.”

Quote Originally Posted by Barracuda View Post
    While we are putting Daves neck on the line (safety what safety) i say put him in a kilt and give him a claymore and bayed up bear in open rangeland
    LMAO. Full warpaint will be required on this one Braveheart!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    I plan on taking two animals with a spear this year. Well see how it goes. Bears and pigs are awful tough, but so am I. This ain't no hunt for school boy bitches.

I cant wait for this bear hunt!

is it legal to throw a spear at a bear from the inside of a vehicle?
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

i'd say no

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    is it legal to throw a spear at a bear from the inside of a vehicle?

Shit disturber

On a side note it's easy to get with 30' of a blackie gorging it's self on thick lush grass. Both my boys and me snuck up on plenty last spring however sticking one with a spear at 7 or 8' is totally AWESOME! How big a bear Gates?

W.
    Never Mind The Bullshit !!!!!