Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Spear hunting questions

Re: Spear hunting questions

look at page 16 of the regs it outlines the legal hunting methods ? but it doesnt say you cant use them (doesnt say you can use kyptonite either ).

A spear or pike would work if you can get close enough its something i wanna try for boar, bear is something i wish handguns were legal for.

might be an idea to call the CO on it.
    Last edited by Barracuda; 02-26-2011 at 11:37 PM.
    “Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.”

Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    This ain't no hunt for school boy bitches.
    That's an understatement.
    As is evidenced by the number of guys fretting over whether it's legal vs. the one who nuts up and just says he's going to do it. Good luck Bigbore. No difference in my mind if it's a spear or a bow other than the cahoney quotient.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post
    He is the foremost authority on the subject.

I knew that pic would surface eventually

Okay, the Samburu spear is not a good hunting spear unless you have 6 buddies with multiple spears to back you up. Or you have perfect aim and can penetrate the vitals with a 20 yard throw, without Mr Bear noticing you. Spear hunitng is most efective when done wit many hunters, OR a treestand.

The Samburu is a throwing spear and frankly it is shit hot at that. I wouldn't want to be within 50 yards of a spear chucking African man with a Samburu and good skills, I will tell you that! Even I can kill something unawares with a Samburu throw at short range....

It's problem is that it is weak and when Africans used it for hunting or war, they delivered the spears en masse....

The Africans have killed serious thick skinned animals like elephant and rhino and hipppo with lots of spears, but they did it with lots of help and you are but one.

Most of the spear hunting that goes on with one guy is baited stands,and the guy is in a stand above and throws a very heavy spear straight down at the deer or bear.

In BC there is no bear baiting, so I think a better spear is a heavy blade with heavy shaft and you sneak up on the bear (like I have done) to sticking range and then you stab them and hold on, cause you don't want the bear in your lap...

Bigbore says he wants to use hounds to tree a bear and use a spear, and my advice was to use a sectional spear that can be threaded together, since the bear may be 20 feet up the tree and you don't want to pack a 20 ft spear in the bush unless you want top stop a calvary charge.!

And yes, it's legal....
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

a pike would work for that , you can get pretty up close and personal to them in a tree with hounds.

hogs with a knife and dogs is something that is gonna be fun
    “Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.”

Now my chahones have sunk deep up into my gut. This is the kind of sh*t that separates the men from the school boy bitches. Its go time real soon.

Wow, I have a new found furthur respect for Gatehouse. That story, I gots to hear in person. Do your balls chafe your legs when you jog?
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    Unions and beacon is what I fry the liver in with a coating of flower on the liver ,,I eat the tong,,the hart,, its very good eating......

Now my chahones have sunk deep up into my gut. This is the kind of sh*t that separates the men from the school boy bitches. Its go time real soon.

Wow, I have a new found furthur respect for Gatehouse. That story, I gots to hear in person. Do your balls chafe your legs when you jog?
    lets not get carried away here....I've snuck up on lots of bears with only a knife or a spear but I was just doing penetration tests.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

LOL!!

lol...just about spit ALL my coffee out reading this post..

doesnt surprise me about Gate..and would actually like to hear that story..

As far as Bigboar..aka Dave...I do believe he will try this and he is one of the few guys that have the lack of fear to pull this off...he has the abilities..

bears can be gotten really close to....wear a hat cam or glasses cam Dave......

cheers
    Steven

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Chaser View Post
    That's an understatement.
    As is evidenced by the number of guys fretting over whether it's legal vs. the one who nuts up and just says he's going to do it. Good luck Bigbore. No difference in my mind if it's a spear or a bow other than the cahoney quotient.

The problem with that is that is if it is not allowed then you could get in big trouble especially if if its youtubed.

And then you get the guys that say its unethical etc and i figure as long as its effective and leagal its all good .

(Remember the thread where people bitched about pigdogging with knives)

If you use hounds you will be a target and scrutinized.

A sectional Pike on a treed bear would work well i think.

The Bravodo adds depth to the tale and is really entertaining,
    keep it up it should make for a good story.