Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Spear hunting questions

Re: Spear hunting questions

original spear hunting....bloody mess,, where are greenpeace????
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkN6C1ur1t8

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by mungojeerie View Post
    Wouldn't it just have been easier to have said right off the get go, that you spoke to a CO about it and were given the OK?
    Easier for you, I guess. But that is hardly the point. Before you claim something as legal or illegal- DO SOME RESEARCH!!..

]
    Yes we can all read, some of us are lazier than others and cant be bothered especially if we're not planning on doing it ourselves.
    Then why question those that have done research into the matter?

The problem is you can never cover your ass enough, just because you read it, doesn't mean it hasn't changed, or that there isn't an exemption somewhere else or some other thing supersedes it or there is some case law etc etc. The law can be a very convoluted thing.
    And if you did some research, all would be revealed.

I did send an email to the CO's asking if spear hunting for big game specifically black bear was a legal method of harvest and if it is or isn't I asked where in what act or regulation or case law does it state that. I have yet to hear back but when I do I will post the reply.
    Good that you actually decided to do research rather than just say that it isn't legal via your interpretation like you said earlier.

I
    f I were to partake in something that I thought could be sketchy legally I would much rather have the word of CO along with his name and or badge number to back me up just in case I find myself in a situation where some other CO who either knows better or is ill informed decides to give me some bracelets.
    Research is important. I have been giving my views on the law after I did extensive research.

Obviously Gatehouse felt the same way at the time as he also took the time to contact a CO.
    Actually, I think it was Foxer who did that, but it was more of a formality. None of us at the time could find anything outlawing spear hunting. Or rock hunting, slingshot hunting, stick hunting etc.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Another option is to attach a long bayonet to a military rifle, sharpen bayonet up good and sharp (as most are dull) and go stick the bear. If he gives you any trouble, just shoot him.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Okay I've received official confirmation on the legality of spear hunting bears.

I spoke via email with Dave Jevons, Division Initiatives Manager, Conservation Officer Services, MOE. Initially he seemed to think that it was unlawful to do so but wanted to do some more digging and question asking before giving me an answer.

His final correspondence was as follows:

--------
    After further review and opinion I have to inform you that hunting with a spear is lawful for large game other than Bison.

While it is not prohibited to hunt wildlife (other than bison and migratory game birds) with a spear, please be advised that it is an offence to injure wildlife and fail to make every reasonable effort to retrieve the wildlife and kill it. Considering the limited killing ability and range of a spear it is possible that possession of only a spear to kill wounded wildlife would be inadequate to meet the standards of "every reasonable effort" to retrieve and kill a wounded animal. It is possible that it would be an offence to wound game with a spear and not track and kill the wounded animal.

Additionally, ethics play a large role in the hunter's decision to hunt with a spear. The hunter should consider whether the method being used is an effective and humane way to harvest an animal, and that the potential for wounding loss or unnecessary suffering is minimized.

Regards

Dave Jevons | Division Initiatives Manager
    Conservation Officer Service | Ministry of Environment | 250-356-5005
    --------

So although I personally would never do so, nor encourage others to do so If you are going to try this spear hunting for bears I would say take along an appropriate firearm as back up for safety, legal and moral obligations and it wouldn't hurt to jot down Mr. Jevons info too.

Like I said it was his initial opinion that it was unlawful and he investigated further as he wasn't positive. It stands to reason that it is possible to run into a CO or RCMP officer and have them question it. No need for arguments or your hunting time being wasted, pass along his name and number and say it's legal, ask for yourself if you don't believe me.

Dave Jevons used to be one of our local CO's and I've got nothing but praise for him and our other local COs.

I'm not surprised that he thought it wasn't legal at first, as it's likely the first time anyone has asked him the question. I've already done the research which is why I made the statement that it was legal.

He brings up some good points regarding ethics and it's something that any prospective spear hunter should be very aware of. I don't care what weapon you choose, if you can't kill an animal cleanly, then you shouldn't "take the shot" so to speak.

That being said, bowhutning had pretty much died off until it had a "rebirth" of sorts and in it's fledgling years of long bows and recurves, there was plenty of criticism regarding ethics and humane hunting. Eventually bow hunting became a completely acceptable method of hunting.

Again, with any weapon, it comes down to the hunter to make a choice on what to do, and the decision should rest upon the likelihood of a clean kill, and not personal ego.

Sooo anybody sharpening a pointing stick for spring?