Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bavarian Mountain Hound Amon

Re: Bavarian Mountain Hound Amon

Thats the first bmh Ive seen, He certainly is pretty, I see he likes the same creeks at Mundy as my dogs do. beautiful colour contrasts.

Thanks, he gets a lot of compliments on his coat colours. And the odd "He looks like his head and his body don't belong together..."
    Oh, well, everybody is entitled to their opinion, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Viking View Post
    I may take you up on the offer to meet Amon sometime. Does he bark lots like other breeds of hound, i thought i remembered something about BMH being a quiet breed. As these days i mostly big game hunt i like the idea of a scent dog, but does he show any signs of also being a retriever. Guess i would like a dog that will do it all.
    Well, we are not far from you, so I am sure we can arrange that.

Amon barks occasionally, mostly at strangers and wild animals (like coyotes and rakoons) in the back lane, he does not howl, and really, most of the time he is quiet. He will bark when in the final stage of tracking a wounded deer, announcing either an expired animal, or barking and stopping the wounded (at that time usually exhausted) deer from running further away.
    As for the retrieving, we have not been training him to do that, for in Europe it is considered a no-no for a hound of his kind. And we do want to take him for tracking tests overseas next year (he needs to be minimum of 18 months of age to compete, and then he could be approved for further breeding, too). On the other hand, I suppose if one does not want to do any tracking testing with his/her bmh, they could certainly teach him to retrieve. Amon is a very fast learner, and it is typical for this breed.

My BMH Ammo is very easy to train and gasps things really fast. They are wonderfull dogs, very loyal to their families. Ammo is now 13 months old. I take Ammo in the bush hiking with me and he never leaves my sight. In fact i took him snow shoeing the other day and he walked on the back of my snow shoes. He is a very layed back and easy going dog. Slavo is right, we get a lot of comments on our bmh's because they are soo rare and different. I had Ammo at the vet the other day, i walked out of the vet and one guy says "what a beautifull dog", then the lady across from him says "What kind of mutt is that". Thought it was kind of funny. Ammo and i just completed obedience classes, and the instructor was totally amazed with Ammo's attention span. Ammo has found every track i have put him on. They are amazing blood trackers. I truly think i am going to have the best hunting partner ever this fall with Ammo.

Girlhunter, any new pics of or with Ammo?

Hi Slavo I have a year old hanovarian hound I hunted him last season and he did very well. They are incredible dogs the scent hounds wether bavarian or Hanovarian. If you were ever interested in sharing info I am in North van. Patrick

Hi,do you still have Amon,I have a female BBH and I would like to breed her,can you send me an email at m2olpret@hotmail.com; I live in Port Coquitlam,thank you