Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: hunting in the kootneys

Re: hunting in the kootneys

south country lots of deer and elk

I've heard good things about the sparwood and elkford areas. it's a bit of trek but 'it's worth the drive to acton'. huntin elk with the bow should be fun.
    A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

Bow Walker Guest

I don't know where you live, but you could always stop in at the local archery shop in Cranbrook. Talk to them and pick their brains.

Maybe even go to your local shop and talk to the guys there. I bet they know someone who's been into the Koots.

I'm not opposed to helping you find some zone to hunt, but I think you have to provide a bit more information. When will you be going? Are you by yourself? Are you relying on motel/hotel accommodation? Are you self contained, tenting (small tent or big tent?) Are you prepared to set up a base camp and spike camp from there? Do you have a quad? Are you physically capable of hiking off the road? Do you want to hunt bulls or cows? Got a pack frame? Physically able to pack a heavy load? What skills do you have to prevent a negative predator encounter? I'm not sure if you mentioned where you are coming from?

I don't think it's quite as simple as "any FSR will do". But its not far off. It depends on what sort of experience you're preparing for and are looking for.

Also,,some things you just have to take with a grain of salt, most people here are very generous and good people and will help you whenever they can, lots of sarcasm.
    so answer some of JT's questions and i am sure the help , pointers will come

ill be going on labour day weekend. ill stay in the back of my truck. i have a quad. ill probably be going with a couple of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Poguebilt View Post
    head up the bull river... further up the better... good luck
    Any more traffic on the bull river and its going to need a stop light . lol

Quote Originally Posted by mikeboehm View Post
    ill be going on labour day weekend. ill stay in the back of my truck. i have a quad. ill probably be going with a couple of people.
    Great, that's some information. Truth, if you want help, you have to help yourself. Perhaps typing is an issue, but more than one line would be an asset. Particularly if you are looking for something and some of us are prepared to help. But we're not going to tell you everything.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeboehm View Post
    I'd still like to see you have a fun hunt. Does the quad mean you have access to the backcountry? Or do you only use it for retrieval? If you are on a quad, are you willing to hike? Do you bugle? or have an array of cow calls?

If you want a chance at either a moose or an elk, that helps to narrow down the geographic area somewhat. Did you say you wanted to hunt bull elk? Or did that matter?

if you want to hunt elk i would head up bull turn left on the gailbrith hike up any valley or creek then comes down to the main road.. there is horse trails on most of them.. green creek cabin creek ect.... you will find elk.. specially early