Thread: Seeking Sheep Hunting Info

Seeking Sheep Hunting Info

My hunting partner was drawn for the Mt. Assiniboine Park Sheep permit ( in region 4-25 ) and would like any info about the the area. My partner would like to know stuff like 1. Lay if the land 2. Where to expect to hunt. 3. Likely areas to start hunting . 4. What kind of gear should we be using. ETC... If anyone has or knows someone that's ever hunted this particular spot please please reply.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Seeking Sheep Hunting Info

The park is on the alberta border so its mountainous. Anything in the east kootenays along the border will give you an idea what its like.

Access is a big problem. No roads and no motor vehicles. If you have horses then you should be fine. From the west its something like 15km into the sheep area. The problem is about 1km of it is a National Park, where you cant even carry a rifle through it. Heard one story where the National Park wardens new the hunters went in through this way and waited for them to come back through. Lets say rifles were donated to the crown. The other trail used to get in is from the south and is around 25km. Once again if you have horse no problem.

From what I have heard the sheep are usually shot in the last week of the season when they migrate in from Alberta. At that time of year in that country there could be 2 feet of snow. So take winter gear (bag and tent).

There is a park cabin at a lake way back there but it is closed in that part of the year.

Hope this kind of helps.

BHB

I would see if theres an alpine lake near the sheep and charter a floatplane to get ya in and out. Just an idea!
    Hunt to live-live to hunt!

Be prepared!

That is a super tough area to get into. As mentioned, you cannot go through the park with a firearm so you have to go the long way or stash your firearms up there this summer - locked and stored properly of course

I haven't done it but I've been told it's crazy in late October - you have to cross frozen rivers and can get into some wild weather etc., it isn't for the faint of heart.

If you don't have really good horses and loads of experiences you could get yourself in serious trouble. You may want to contact the outfitter in the area to see if he'll pack you in. The American who owns the outfit hunts his tag himself everyear so he may be willing to help you get in there.

Call the bios in the koots - they'll probably help you out

Tell you buddy to pull out all the stops - this is the hunt of atleast 3 lifetimes!!!!! I'd sell a kidney just for that tag.

Buy the topos and go over them. The 'sheep' spots are self explanatory - it's the preparation and experience that you should be worried about as this is a hard hunt.

After that, If you want more info PM me and I can help.

Last but not least,

Don't let this tag go to waste.

If you hide your bolt just past the park boundary before hand(the hike will help you get into shape and give a preview of the area), when you return you will not be technically carrying a firearm(I believe-check with the CO). Then you could take the long way out, or take another trip in to get your bolt. This would only be worth your while if the 25 km hike consists of "tougher" terrain...I'm just thinking out loud on the keyboard here.

Have fun, and just don't let that once in a lifetime tag go to waste!
    Twist and pull.

Does your buddy have late season? It can be a good draw as well as bad the rams gotta move ,the late season is really the best. very steep terrain, long way in . Call a conservation office in Cranbrook and they will take a lot of the guess work out of this hunt.

He applied for ....and got a tag for an area he has no clue as to where to hunt, how to hunt it or what he is getting himself into?????.......and thats not even the actual hunting yet........

Life is about adventure, good on him! It's a great way to get out and see the province.

Tell you buddy to pull out all the stops - this is the hunt of atleast 3 lifetimes!!!!! I'd sell a kidney just for that tag.
    That is the truth!! No-one wants to know how far I'd go for that tag.

Bighornbob about covered it. Its a difficult area to get into, but its not hard to find and not hard to figure out. But its still no slam dunk once you figure it out.

The key is to make sure to spend time...scouting and hunting. I'd quit my job for that tag and scout every day of the season before the actual hunt dates if I had to. You'll never get it again.

Cheers,
    4Ster
    "If you want to hunt beasts you don't see every day,
    You have to go places quite out-of-the-way.
    You have to go places no others can get to,
    You have to get cold and you have to get wet, too."
    - Dr. Seuss