Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spotting scope tripods

.284 is offline You`ll shoot your eye out

Spotting scope tripods

Hey guys I'm looking for a new tripod for backpack hunting and just wondering what everyone has tried and if you liked it. Would like to try to keep the weight down
    Thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Spotting scope tripods

I have the Vortex Ridgeview and find it light enough to carry. Tried small super light ones but hated being forced to lay down to view so settled on this brand.

I have a Leupold tripod, it is very sturdy and it might be on the heavier side at 1175g (41oz or 2.6lbs). In the collapsed stage, it measures 36.5cm (14"). The lowest view height is is approximately the same as when folded up. The maximum height is 80cm (31½"). This gives a viewing height range of 43cm (17"). Here's the link.
    http://www.leupold.com/tactical/prod...ompact-tripod/
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

I really like the SLIK 613CF
    Its light and I took out the center adjustable tube to make it even lighter.
    Expands tall enough to sit behind or low enough to set the scope just 6" off the ground if you're peeking over the crest of a hill.
    The bonus of the CF is you dont really have to worry about breaking it.
    I use a jim white head on it topped off by a swaro HD 65.

http://reviews.cnet.com/other-a-v-ac...-31793225.html
    Originally Posted by averagejoe
    thats pretty cool. i bet you get close to those cats some time when there low in the tree hey. when do they have kittens?? do you ever see baby cougars in the tree or do they hide in her pouch?

Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle
    ....I guess some peeps think a mother griz is like a crack whore ready to drop her baby at the first church door she sees...funny

I just picked up a slik compact II. Haven't tried it in the field yet, but it's nice and light compact and affordable. You wont be able to stand and use it, but should be comfortable while sitting. I ordered mine through futureshop.

Quote Originally Posted by Zubris21 View Post
    I just picked up a slik compact II. Haven't tried it in the field yet, but it's nice and light compact and affordable. You wont be able to stand and use it, but should be comfortable while sitting. I ordered mine through futureshop.
    I got the same one this winter from staples which was $20 cheaper then futureshop.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
    I got the same one this winter from staples which was $20 cheaper then futureshop.
    Dammit why didn't you tell me first! haha oh well.

What scope are you putting on top of it? If it's a heavy scope like a Zeiss or swaro you'll want a heavier, wider tripod. Heavy scopes on an ultralite can be tipsy and vibrate alot in the wind. I use a swaro 65 mm on a manfrotto 615(?). It's been a durable/practical combo for me.
    Last edited by bruin; 02-14-2011 at 11:41 PM.

For backpack hunts I use a Slik 613 CF. This is as light as it gets with the ability to adjust to a suitable height. It is really robust as well.
    High.....Wild......Free