Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Noob scouting question

Re: Noob scouting question

Ok thanks huntwriter, good information as always.
    Si vis pacem para bellum
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by lcpaintballer
    Ok thanks huntwriter, good information as always.
    Your very welcome. I'll do almost anything to help a young and new hunter to become a successful hunter.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

Another trick to finding the dear on the island , Is to hunt right after a big windy and rain storm , the day after is when you'r gonna see lots of activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Dayto
    Another trick to finding the dear on the island , Is to hunt right after a big windy and rain storm , the day after is when you'r gonna see lots of activity.
    That is a very good hunting strategy and one I employ regularly. However it's hunting, not scouting. In order to know where deer are you have to scout ahead of hunting. This will improve your chance of seeing deer dramatically and just as important gives you the confidence you need to stay long enough in the woods. Because by scouting first you KNOW that the deer are there and why they are there.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

In order to better your chances, scouting should be done year round as Kirby said. You odds go way way up if you know where the animal lives and when. Observing animals when there is no open season allows you the opportunity to actually study them, to see how they react, to learn their habits and patterns. Every day spent in the bush, regardless if I see game or not, is a scouting trip. I'm always making metal notes to myself regarding what I see and where. I learn the lay of the land, the humps and bumps and potential hidding spots. Everyday I am learning. It doesn't matter if I've been in that spot a hundred times, I'm always learning. I think some of my best scouting is in the spring during the shed season. I cover the ground hard, and I learn it. The sheds tell me the quality of the bucks in the area. The summer I'm normally out every weekend, glassin and filming. Making notes of where I see the game and at what time of day. The winter post season I am out there in the snow and cold glassin and filming and seeing what bucks made it through the hunting season and which ones I should be holding out for in the future.