Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spring set-ups.

Spring set-ups.

Come Feb 10th (Thursday), I'll be laid out in a field, somewhere, waiting for my limit of Canada Geese, to plummet from the sky's.

I was wondering if anyone would share on what an early, spring season spread should look like? I've got 4 dozen shells.
    Also, I have 1 doz Snow's,,,, would it be beneficial to mix these in, or would it be a detriment?

Thanks
    Dean.

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.
    My HBC Photo Gallery: http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showg...sername=mrdean

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Spring set-ups.

I find the geese flock up into pretty large numbers. So you'll need a lot of decoys to suck them it. The more the merrier. In the winter I stick with a few sentries and lots of feeders/resters. In the spring I bring out the works. I even put a duck here and there.

I haven't tried blending snows and canadas... someone else is bound to answer that for you though.

Early spring they should still be grouped together, so big spreads are good. The further you get into the spring season they start pairing up and your spread can get smaller and smaller. Hell by the end of it a handful of decoys can be the answer.

As to the snow question depends what they are used to. Could work for visibility or may make the geese land further in the field. Try it and see what happens.
    1st Im in charge, and if not Matt is. Your job is to sign checks, tell us we're doing good and open your case of scotch after a good day. 2nd my fee. You can keep it, all I want in exchange for my service is the right to hunt all the drakes. A male. Buck only. Why and how are my business. If you don't like it, go alone. Set up right here or in a swamp or in the middle of a noshoot field for all I care. I've been on too many duck hunts with rich dentists to listen to any more suicidal ideas. Ok?

Thanks Gent's.

I went out for a cruise today. I saw LARGE flocks flying about but the ones I found on the ground, were clustered in small gatherings of up to 30 or so. All were large honks with some 'mediums' in the mix; didn't see not one, sub-midget sized, PITA, neurotic, "what should we do,,,,what should we do???", "where are our meds?", cackler - GOOD!

Kill on, come Thursday.

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.

I work thursday friday... so I'm all fired up for saturday!! I'll be out Langley! I'm looking forward to goose chilli and goose spaghetti sauce!

Quote Originally Posted by warnniklz View Post
    I work thursday friday... so I'm all fired up for saturday!! I'll be out Langley! I'm looking forward to goose chilli and goose spaghetti sauce!
    You'll be to late.
    Come Saturday afternoon, you'll WISH you called in a 'Personal Day'.

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.

Went out Thursday. Didn't see a single goose. Having said that, I was awful close to Boundary Bay. Going out again in a few hours. Is this a wast of time?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dean View Post
    You'll be to late.
    Come Saturday afternoon, you'll WISH you called in a 'Personal Day'.
    SAturday I didn't get anything... Sunday I got 3. I should have limited out but I was shooting like shit. I packed it up at noon when it started to rain.

Quote Originally Posted by warnniklz View Post
    SAturday I didn't get anything... Sunday I got 3. I should have limited out but I was shooting like shit. I packed it up at noon when it started to rain.
    I hear your PAIN!

Between Thursday's ALL DAY hunt and a couple hours Friday morning, I *should've* had 4, super-sized honkers on the ground (2 each from day). The two I missed on Friday is unforgivable...

While I didn't see a ton of birds, I did get decent action; There were a few lg herds of lessers and cacklers that spooked off as soon as they got on top of me (poof), and the lg honkers trickled in, in groups of 2-12... the trouble I was having was that the bulk landed outside of gun range. I figured this was due to the clear skies and frost on my dekes... Another thing I realized was that my goose flag SCREAMS when its hit with direct sun too (camo'd back side).

I went out on Sunday and set the spread out in 'clusters' of 2-5 dekes using all that I had..... Not a bird showed up to the party. Nuthin was flying, except for a bazillion gulls.

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.

The worst part is I could hear geese on the north side of the river. I think they were paired up and nesting. So if a pair or single came in low and quietly I wouldn't always hear or see them (you know, BSing with your hunting partner doesn't help). Then you see them at 30 yards only 6 feet off the ground and I'd miss those prime shots.

I think ducks got a copy of the regs. They were up and buzzing around all over the place. I also seen a couple of deer at the end of 108th.