Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Turkey Contest

Turkey Contest

I was wondering how many people would be interested in this and if we would be able to make a go of it on this site. I made it up last year as a compition between a couple of archery clubs in the WKs and it was pretty fun. So lets get an idea of how many people would be up for it and if anyone would be interested in donating an prizes.

HBC SPRING TURKEY CHALLENGE

YES it is getting close to turkey season and the time for chasing those birds is quickly approaching! So why not make it a little more interesting this year. We would like to start an annual event in which any members of HBC can join (nothing like a little healthy compition).

Rules:

1) Everyone who hunts turkey with legal equipment in the is eligible for entry into this contest including shotgun and archery equipment.

2) The contest will run April 15 – May 15. Pictures must be posted by 9:00 pm EST May 15 in order to count for points.

3) The team with the most points scored by its members will "win". The 1st place team will be awarded the HBC Turkey Hunt trophy for the year, and have the coveted title of HBC Turkey Champs for the 2011 season.

4) The N W T F scoring system will be used for scoring. Please note that if your bird has multiple beards that only the longest one will count and the same thing holds true for the rare multiple spur bird as well.

5) It is your responsibility to post your team # and name when checking in a bird.

6) Teams will be randomly assigned with 5 or10 members on each team depending on the amount of people signed up. Please sign up only if you really think you will turkey hunt in the spring of 2011. You have to enter a bird to be eligible for the draw (IF THERE ARE PRIZES DONATED). We will build teams of 5 or 10 people per team, using a computer program to randomly assign team members. Of course this works best if we get an even multiple of 10 people registered (10, 30, 40, 60, etc.). In the likely event we do not get an even multiple of 10 people (eg 17, 33, 52, 67, etc.), we will take the last several people who registered (by order of registration, beyond the last multiple of 10) and put them into the “last team”. The next several people to sign up on the official thread after “official registration” closes at 9:00 pm EST April 12 (assuming there are any who sign up late) will be placed into the “last team” in the order they sign up so that the “last team” can have a full roster of 5 or 10 hunters (this may not happen, in which case the “last team” will play shorthanded). These will be the only exceptions to the “official registration” deadline of 9:00 pm EST April 12 (we have to draw a line somewhere to make the administration of the contest manageable – this is not our full time job). If you miss the sign up for this year’s contest don’t worry – in less than a year you will be able to register for next year’s contest!

Again, we will not make substitutions for people who do not actively participate in their team (too much of an administrative headache) or later want to drop out, so be sure you are committed to participating in this before signing up. This is part of the luck of the draw.

7) A picture of your bird must be posted in the league play 2011 BC Turkey Contest check station thread, under the contest thread that will be started after teams are chosen.

Rules may be edited if needed and all decisions by the moderation staff helping with this contest are final.

9) If any prizes are donated by the hunting community a list of the companies and individuals donating prizes will be posted and updated as necessary. If you check in a bird you will be eligible for a random drawing of the prizes.

10) We will start threads in league play for each of the team members to check in. I encourage all teams to pm their team members to get them involved and prepped for the contest.

11) After your team comes up with a name please have one member post the team name in the Turkey Team Name Selection Thread. We will edit the team thread title and put the name into the official score sheet.

12) The final and most important rule is that you must have fun and enjoy every moment in the turkey woods this season!

Good luck and good hunting!

How to Score Your Wild Turkey
    Before you begin to score your turkey, be sure to note that all measurements are taken in 1/16-inch increments and converted to decimal form. A current licensed hunter from the area where the bird was harvested must verify all measurements.
    Step 1:
    Weigh your bird in pounds and ounces and convert ounces to decimal form.

Step 2:
    Measure each spur. Spurs must be measured along the outside center, from the point at which the spur protrudes from the scaled leg skin to the tip of the spur. Add both spur measurements and multiply the combined length of the spurs by 10. This is the number of points you receive for the turkey’s spurs.

Step 3:
    Measure the beard length (a beard must be measured from the center point of the protrusion of the skin to the tip) and convert it to decimal form.
    Next, multiply the beard length figure by 2; this is the number of points you receive for the beard length. If you have an atypical bird (multiple beards), measure each beard, convert them to a decimal number, then add those figures together and multiply by two. This is the number of points you receive for your turkey’s beards.

Step 4:
    Add together the weight, the points for spurs and points for beard(s): This is the score you receive for your turkey.

You can calculate the score of your turkey with our scoring calculator.
    Score calculator link.
    http://www.nwtf.org/all_about_turkeys/turkey_score.html
    Although you may use the score calculator to figure out the final score of your bird, we ask that you post the weight and measurements of your bird with the picture.
    Any question post BCBrez
    Last edited by bcbrez; 01-26-2012 at 08:18 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Turkey Contest

*note*- under rule 7 it says archery weapon. This is a mistake and it won't let me edit it. Just need a picture of you with the bird.

I wanna play !!!

I here by claim the team name of "THUNDER CHICKENS".

All you turkey nuts know me. I have a purdy good history huntn them burds.
    So join my team and we will "rule the roost".

To make my hunt harder this year I will use my cross bow.
    if people of color do it, it's "affirmative action" "civil rights", etc, etc. If a bunch of white folks do it....its "racist" and "hate speech" quote Willyqbc

I've got a few PM's of other people that are in as well. It would be nice to get enough for at least four teams. So spred the word to anyone you know on here that turkey hunts.

Talk to Huntwriter.

He is the guy who knows who hunts turkeys on HBC.

Oh, and I want him on my team.
    if people of color do it, it's "affirmative action" "civil rights", etc, etc. If a bunch of white folks do it....its "racist" and "hate speech" quote Willyqbc

I -hope- I will have time to join in on this. new job has me working 21/7

Im sure I will know by the deadline, and I could work something out with other potential teammates. Never have had a chance to hunt Turkeys, but it's on my To-Do list

come on guys, I know there's more turkey hunters out there. I was thinking of maybe a spring bear contest too.

Does it count if I turn my 8 yr old Merriam Wild tom loose and teach him to play dead at the sight of the bow ? Just kidding..... I will however measure him up and see what he would score.

BTW: does it matter what type of wild turkey it is? Aka Eastern or Merriams? I have seen both and crosses of the 2 roaming the wood around here.

is this for wild turkeys only or will the ones i raise on the farm work?

I'll play - as long as I can be on 300H&H's team. It might be my best chance of getting him to take me out turkey hunting at long last...