Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prince George?

Prince George?

Looks like I might be getting an interview for a job up in the area, I know there's some decent hunting around for moose but I've never really known much more then that. How are mulies in the area? What about elk (I know the regs say there's an open season around but do you have to head further out towards McBride to get into them)? Anyways....just figured I should know some of the important stuff before I look at possibly moving up there .

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Prince George?

Mulies, whitetail, moose,bear, and elk all within an hour of town... Even closer depending on where in town u live
    ...No enterprise is more likely to succeed than one concealed from the enemy until it is ripe for execution...

If you want the prime bush, follow the Dawg...

I am 2 years new to PG and am missing my old Kamloops "open country" hunting. There is lots of game around but it isnt easy to find. Moose are fairly easy to locate but moose arnt high on my list. There are elk and mulies around, but once again, not easy to find. The locals who grew up around here do well. The bush is thick and the not too far away alpine is tough to access.

Lived in PG for over thirty years. Hunting is really poor around here and the only elk in the area are cardboard cutouts. I think we used to have a shooting range but it was closed down because of lack of use. Once and awhile you might see a mule deer and maybee a black bear? If you want any good hunting people have to travel out of town like Kamloops just to get the chance to cut a tag. OK OK Ok ...... I could be BSin!
    "Life is a sexually transmitted,terminal disease"

From what I've heard it's pretty good hunting once you learn how to work the areas... I hope it turns out that way...I'm moving up march 12th...

tragic thing is , p g is the one town my wife has stated clearly that she will never move back too. kinda sucks cause it really does seem to have it all , lottsa cheap real estate , employment opportunities abound and hunting right outside your back door. she recalls the stink of the mills , thats it ? it couldnt be that bad , could it ??

Quote Originally Posted by swampthing View Post
    I am 2 years new to PG and am missing my old Kamloops "open country" hunting. There is lots of game around but it isnt easy to find. Moose are fairly easy to locate but moose arnt high on my list. There are elk and mulies around, but once again, not easy to find. The locals who grew up around here do well. The bush is thick and the not too far away alpine is tough to access.
    Sounds like my relates who come up from southern BC & the US when they see some of the terrain we hunt in the central interior. Usually get asked "How do you hunt in that thick crap?"

"Ya gotta be sneaky, like an injun"

I don't know....I hunt deer in Dawson and Williams Lk. I go up north a couple times a year, moose season around here is like grand central station compared to where I used to hunt in the Okanogan. Lastly, I go to Terrace to fish. But yes, it is cheap real estate... I do like it here though.
    Built for shale not trail.

If you know your places the game matches anywhere in BC, elk in that area is a logn stretch have found a few tracks over the last few years but never seen one. to get to the good areas you have to go farther in the woods cause a bunch of vancouverites take over the closer areas nearer to town.
    Even the worst day of hunting will always be better than a day at home

Just got transferred there myself. Im a little scared of leaving the spoiled hunting spots ive come accustomed to in the Okanagan. Back to the drawing board!