Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Shotgun to buy?

Which Shotgun to buy?

I am taking up Duck and Goose hunting this year and am looking to buy a new shotgun. I would be looking for a 12 ga pump action, synthetic stock.

What is the most reliable shotgun out there?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Which Shotgun to buy?

i have a browning bps which is pretty nice.. i also have a 870 express tactical which is really smooth. but the stupied folding stock isnt the most comfortable stock.. i would sell my browning in a heartbeat for a 870 wingmaster they are like butter and have the nice finish too. other then that i have held a nice benneli? supernova which was really nice in the hand but i never got to shoot it.. pick up a bunch and try your friends and see what you like the best

BPS, Rem 870 and the ever indestructable Mossberg 835 ultimag.
    as someone said the 835 can even double as a paddle

oh ya get one with that cammo coating stuff,,,,, it helps with corosion

870 wingmaster. Never one jam or missfire in a tonne of shots. Highly recommended to me long before I hunted.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    Unions and beacon is what I fry the liver in with a coating of flower on the liver ,,I eat the tong,,the hart,, its very good eating......

"Nuther vote for the Rem 870 Wingmaster........25 yrs. of flawless performance.

I have to agree with big bore and river rat. I took over my dads 870 wingmaster and its 26 years old and never once jams nor miss fire.I have shot many ducks and geese and I wouldn't even trade it for a super black eagle.It even fell into water and still shoots.They don't call its wingMASTER for nothing

If you're looking for an all around synthetic gun and none of the fancy wood stuff, then I'd look at a Remington 870/887, Mossberg 835, Benelli Nova/SuperNova, Browning BPS... all of these guns can be bought in synthetic or camo stocks, and all are good quality.

I shoot a Remington 870 SuperMag Synthetic 12ga. 28" bbl. Its a heavy gun compared to others I've been able to hold, but this gun fits me like a glove. On sunny days in the fields I cradle my gun and comes home clean... on rainy cold days on the salt chuck it ends up in the ocean, mud, dirt, frozen, and still shoots and cycles without a hickup!

What is more important is what fits you better. Go to the gun shop and feel-out all the availible pumps that suit your wants, until one snuggs right up to your shoulder perfectly.

(... but I am going to agree that the 870 Wingmaster is the best pump gun made... PERIOD! )

Cheers, Longshot jr.
    Last edited by longshot; 01-26-2011 at 11:02 PM.

What is more important is what fits you better.
    CORRECT!!!
    If it don't fit, you won't be doing much killin'.

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.
    My HBC Photo Gallery: http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showg...sername=mrdean

As far as your choice of any shotguns go, you have to make your decision on what best fits you, not just what you think someone considers is the most reliable make or model.

When you pick up a gun it should ideally come up into the pocket of your shoulder and either touch the cheek or be very close to it. If you have to scrunch your neck down uncomfortably to get your cheek on the stock and beads stacked up try another gun because that one doesn't fit.

Regardless of how pretty the gun looks you aren't going to shoot it well unless it mounts to your cheek correctly. I've seen several decent shooters buy guns because one of their buddies or a hotshot had one, only to see their scores go in the toilet because the gun didn't fit.

There are a few manufacturers that now sell shotguns that have shims that allow you to alter the fit up, down, or for cast on and cast off. If you choose one of those makes or models, ask the dealer to help you make the gun fit before you pay for it. If they won't do that for you, go down the street to their competitor.

Love my 887 remington! it's a ducks unlimited model. very nice gun.