Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: bow poundage

Re: bow poundage

Ahhh.... the good old days when a chronograph was at every 3D shoot to see whose bow was the fastest and overdraws were the thing to have. Many shooters were stricken with hemorrhoids and hernias from trying to grunt back a 70-90 pounds. Young children were trying to pull back bows which were far to heavy for their developing bodies. Good that we finally come to our senses.

I think 50-60 lbs is all one needs.

LOL, I have never hunted any more than 65 pounds according to scales I have owned, my target bows I buy in 60 pounds limbs and back em down to 52ish ....

My buddy Trevor hunts at 48 pounds ... but his draw is 32" on an APA Black Mamba ... he gets the same speed I do out my Bowtech at 60ish at 28.5" with a similar weighted arrow. He dumped Moose, elk and anything else that he has hit with an arrow.... Niether one of us is concerend about Bison with our setups either
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

Bow Walker Guest

Never owned a bow that was greater (heavier) than 60 lbs. No need. I'm not what I term a 'speed freak' so 60 lbs and a tad lower has always done whatever job I put in front of it.

Besides - at my age/condition - I couldn't draw 70 lbs more than once or twice anyway..

I hit a deer (3 point mulie) in the sholder (bone) this year with my bowtech patriot dually at 73Lbs, and did not get a pass through. 27Yards. but when I found the deer 50 yards from ware I shot, the arow was stuck into the off side shoulde blade. = dead deer. My Omen 80# is on order. I'll do some comparisons when it gets here in 7 more weeks. PS draw lenghth is only 26.5 so I need to compensate a bit. I like to hit hard just incase things move...
    Can't hit it if you don't shoot.

Rusty Shackles also has little man syndrome (Ha Ha had to be done Russ). I have known and hunted with him for years and he is not a big man, but he is built for a guy that does not work out. He has always shot a high poundage bow, but I usually hunt with mine set at 65 pounds, but I have a draw length that is 2" longer than his.
    I love animals
    They taste GREAT

i always have mine set to what i am very comfortable with, currently that is 60-62 lbs. This has been almost exactly the same in the past 20 yrs, although they are much easier to draw now then back then, and yes as said before the overdraw was on a few of my bows aswell it was the thing to do for speed way back when.

Bow Walker Guest

The "professional" advice about bow poundage is that "You should be able to draw your bow comfortably from any position - standing, sitting, or kneeling. If you can't then you are over-bowed."

Here's great video advice about bow poundage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td97M...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by Bow Walker View Post
    The "professional" advice about bow poundage is that "You should be able to draw your bow comfortably from any position - standing, sitting, or kneeling. If you can't then you are over-bowed."

Here's great video advice about bow poundage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td97M...eature=related
    Good advice. I set mine back to 65# because 70 was to much when in a tricky position.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Shackles View Post
    I hit a deer (3 point mulie) in the sholder (bone) this year with my bowtech patriot dually at 73Lbs, and did not get a pass through. 27Yards. but when I found the deer 50 yards from ware I shot, the arow was stuck into the off side shoulde blade. = dead deer. My Omen 80# is on order. I'll do some comparisons when it gets here in 7 more weeks. PS draw lenghth is only 26.5 so I need to compensate a bit. I like to hit hard just incase things move...
    LOL .. if you get Wild TV ... watch the new show called "the Edge" ... Its about 3 guys that hunt in Alberta ... Ryan Kohler, Scott Stirling and Helgie Edmundston... the first 2 guys started wild TV with Ryans Dad .... Scott is just under 5'7" tall ... if you ask him tho he wont admit it ...and shoots a short draw as well ....for a long time he had SMS as well ... finally some sense has been talked into him (I think he realised he is getting old) and shoots less than 60 at 3D and just over 60 for hunting ... quite a few critters to his credit ...to the best of my knowledge he has never lost one because of poor penitration due to short draw. I know this because I have known Scott for a long time and we consider each other Family
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

Quote Originally Posted by bcbrez View Post
    good advice. I set mine back to 65# because 70 was to much when in a tricky position.
    x2............................