Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: bow poundage

bow poundage

just wondering what most people are shooting for draw weight. Looking ot get back into hunting with a bow and when I had my old bow I was shooting 60lbs but I found a good deal on a 50 pound bow would there be much difrence inspeed and energy.

2. Site Sponsor

Bow Walker Guest

Re: bow poundage

IMO you can kill just as many animals with a 50 lb bow as you can with a 60 lb bow. No problems.

Currently I shoot 60 lbs on my target and my hunting bow. I am seriously considering dropping at least 5 lbs from both of them - just for the ease of drawing and shooting. Plus a small shoulder injury is making it painfully obvious that dropping poundage would be a good thing.

Speed is 'forgiving' and energy, or penetration, 'kills' when it comes to bowhunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bow Walker View Post
    IMO you can kill just as many animals with a 50 lb bow as you can with a 60 lb bow. No problems.

Currently I shoot 60 lbs on my target and my hunting bow. I am seriously considering dropping at least 5 lbs from both of them - just for the ease of drawing and shooting. Plus a small shoulder injury is making it painfully obvious that dropping poundage would be a good thing.

Speed is 'forgiving' and energy, or penetration, 'kills' when it comes to bowhunting.
    I had the same issue as I too had shoudler injuries. I tore both rotator cuffs on both shoudlers (2 seperate). i was shooting a 60-70 lbs bow. Even at 60 it was quite hard later on.

50lbs was much easier.
    "Know your Land, Know Your Prey" - Mantracker

"I still don’t know why I fish or why other men fish, except that we like it and it makes us think and feel."Roderick Haig-Brown

www.nrgcbc.ca

Don't get too hung up about arrow speed when it comes to hunting. Yes your arrow will be slower, but you may be able to shoot a lighter arrow to negate some of that. You will lose a bit of energy, there's still pleanty there at 50lbs to do the buisness you need it to do.

I shot my last elk and 5 deer with my bow draw weight at 54lb lbs and a 27 1/4 " draw length. Not exacty what you would call a speedy, powerful bow. All complete pass throughs. I am am 100% confident in the bows ability to do the job and plan on hunting either black bear or hopefully a Griz this spring.

Regardless of your draw weight, use a quality, razor sharp cut on contact broadhead and a properly spined arrow. Only take broadside/slightly quartering away shots and you won't have a problem harvesting with your 50lb bow.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    Don't get too hung up about arrow speed when it comes to hunting. Yes your arrow will be slower, but you may be able to shoot a lighter arrow to negate some of that. You will lose a bit of energy, there's still pleanty there at 50lbs to do the buisness you need it to do.

I shot my last elk and 5 deer with my bow draw weight at 54lb lbs and a 27 1/4 " draw length. Not exacty what you would call a speedy, powerful bow. All complete pass throughs. I am am 100% confident in the bows ability to do the job and plan on hunting either black bear or hopefully a Griz this spring.

Regardless of your draw weight, use a quality, razor sharp cut on contact broadhead and a properly spined arrow. Only take broadside/slightly quartering away shots and you won't have a problem harvesting with your 50lb bow.
    There ya go. I'd rather shoot REALLY heavy arrows at much closer ranges (10 - 20 yards) and be totally sure of making clean fast kills with complete pass-throughs.
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Quote Originally Posted by The Hermit View Post
    There ya go. I'd rather shoot REALLY heavy arrows at much closer ranges (10 - 20 yards) and be totally sure of making clean fast kills with complete pass-throughs.
    I agree with you - 600 grain arrows at 260 fps are the magic numbers for me.

I simply don't believe that there is anything in North America that wont die, if I place my arrow in the right place - 90 ft lb of kinetic energy is more than enough to drive a broadhead deep into the vitals of most things.
    Last edited by Kudu; 01-23-2011 at 01:16 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"It is astonishing how much room there is in the air around a duck!"

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!- Rudyard Kipling

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012

This is where I come from (click)

60 lbs on both compounds.
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

Yup, I agree. I was being cool and hunting with mine at 70# found after sitting for awhile or in a crouching position, I could no longer draw the bow with the ease of stand and being warm.

Speed dosn`t kill , Placement does .
    As a Trady , if your age exceeds your poundage your in trouble !!!!!
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

I lowered mine from 64lbs to 60lbs for the ability to shoot more and more is what it's all about. Amazing what even 4lbs feels like.