Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moose Hunt Pink Mountain

Moose Hunt Pink Mountain

Im thinking of heading up to the peace region 7b aug 15 for moose, maybe pink mountain area, does anyone know the best zone or area to go to? ive never been up there before so i dont know the best place to go for moose that early in the season, also elk, thin horn sheep and cariboo are open in some regions up there and would also be an option for the hunt. any ideas on where to go or info on the area would be helpfull, thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Moose Hunt Pink Mountain

Fuel can be expensive up there. You don't always see caribou around Pink Mountain. You a moose hunter or just looking for a spot where more is open??? Early season hunting can also pose problems are you prepared to deal with them???

30+ years hunting moose, elk ,sheep, Gbear, in 757,758,742,748,749,750,744,743,sometimes spending several weeeks to a couple of months, time permitting in those zones,

1, be prepared for anything, bad weather, muddy impassable roads, hot weather 35+Celsius,(meat handling issues)
    2 first timers, just getting familiar with a few good moose ares is a learning experience,
    3 things change over night, you can have the best mineral lick spotted and planned to hunt, the next day there can be a 100 men and machines setting up a drilling rig dead center of the lick, you will have to adapt and find alternate area to hunt,
    4 for newbies? the best plan is get as much possible info. maps, google and check here for "pink mountain threads"
    5 moose are relatively easy, just walk, quad cut lines, fresh logged off clear cuts, early morning (4am) to dark (10;30pm) pay special attention to water ponds and water scoop outs on the Oil&Gas roads, MOOSE MAGNETS!

during your first couple moose hunt trips there, learn more about the area!

Quote Originally Posted by elkdom View Post
    30+ years hunting moose, elk ,sheep, Gbear, in 757,758,742,748,749,750,744,743,sometimes spending several weeeks to a couple of months, time permitting in those zones,

1, be prepared for anything, bad weather, muddy impassable roads, hot weather 35+Celsius,(meat handling issues)
    2 first timers, just getting familiar with a few good moose ares is a learning experience,
    3 things change over night, you can have the best mineral lick spotted and planned to hunt, the next day there can be a 100 men and machines setting up a drilling rig dead center of the lick, you will have to adapt and find alternate area to hunt,
    4 for newbies? the best plan is get as much possible info. maps, google and check here for "pink mountain threads"
    5 moose are relatively easy, just walk, quad cut lines, fresh logged off clear cuts, early morning (4am) to dark (10;30pm) pay special attention to water ponds and water scoop outs on the Oil&Gas roads, MOOSE MAGNETS!

during your first couple moose hunt trips there, learn more about the area!
    just thought I would also add I have camped up there Aug 15 and on Aug18 and 20th had over 18 inches of wet heavy snow crush our tents, break thousands of trees making cut lines impossible to quad along, turn roads to slushy mushy mud(if you haven't enjoyed Peace Country Mud ?) your in for a BIG surprise!

Up there it's either too hot, or too cold. An if it's just right, the bugs are going to suck every drop of blood from your veins! The mud can be so thick on the roads it's hard to keep a Quad in 4 wheel drive on them, then, when it drys out, the dust can be 10 inches deep! You could try the 120 Road, the 135, the 171, Tommy Lakes, Buck'in Horse or dam near any where you want to pull over and hunt! Early season you'll need to take the meat to a cooler, late season you'll need lots of Whiskey! A couple good Quads are nice, with Winches, lots of fuel etc. One thing I was going to do but haven't been back since was take a small gas Jet pump, we were Camped at the Beaton River one year, and the Quads, us and our Moose and everything else we owned was so covered in mud I though it would be dam handy to be able to wash the gear off every few days! We had to undress out side the Trailer and scrape the mud off our Clothes it was thick! I think it was fun at the time!

Carry chains that fit your tires for your truck and trailers! a winch ain't gonna help you when your in a ditch all loaded up. Pack a portable cooler, a deep freezer and genie will do in a pinch even if it's just cooling off the quarters during the day and hanging them back up at night. Bug spray lots of it. Anywhere north of Fort St John either side off the hiway is good but knowing a spot is better. Pick one species to hunt forget about sheep and caribou if your really after a moose. Google earth is a good place to start and then you can start asking questions about a particular area.

Good Luck

W.
    Never Mind The Bullshit !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by luckynuts View Post
    Carry chains that fit your tires for your truck and trailers! a winch ain't gonna help you when your in a ditch all loaded up. Pack a portable cooler, a deep freezer and genie will do in a pinch even if it's just cooling off the quarters during the day and hanging them back up at night. Bug spray lots of it. Anywhere north of Fort St John either side off the hiway is good but knowing a spot is better. Pick one species to hunt forget about sheep and caribou if your really after a moose. Google earth is a good place to start and then you can start asking questions about a particular area.

Good Luck

W.
    i agree, and some of those gas line roads are grease when wet so get out and see what that road is all about before driving on it, also be sure to check the weather before you get in too far or you may be seriously screwed

you can keep that early season crap,i dont need meat bad enough to deal with the insects!!!!

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

These fellows are not exaggerating about it up there. The dust turns to mud with just a little rain. Tire chains are a must. A cooler is a good idea, I like the freezer and generator idea too! Be prepared to get the meat out! It would be a shame to lose an animal because you are not prepared for the size of the animal or the temperature. There are some excellent past threads on this subject, do a search and read on. Ask me any questions via PM if you would like. Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

i hunt moose exclusively up fort nelson and north.nelson forks area great for every thing check the gallery for pics of the moose i've shot out of that area.if you want to know more ,sent me a message ,i can help you on getting in to the right area.