Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Broken Arrows?!

Bow Walker Guest

Re: Broken Arrows?!

Quote Originally Posted by Matty_ola View Post
    I'm in no way a bow professional but Am I missing something??? How do you get the 200 is stiffer than the 300???http://store.fastcommerce.com/thebow...2f55ca7-c.html

If anything they are over-stiff not under and in which case would not cause them to break under the stress of the bow string.

I'm running an X-Force GX with the same arrows set at 65lb draw with a total arrow weight of 390 Grains and I've never seen that problem.

I'm going to say the fletch job is the culprit, Or what ever chemical you used to clean them up before the fletch job took place.
    99% of arrow manufacturers list the spine numbers that reflect deflection, based on a weight suspended from the center of the shaft. The numbers usually (99% of the time) reflect the value in inches of delfection. Foe example the number 300 woud mean a deflection of .300 of an inch.

If PSE does list their numbers back-ass-wards, then it's just a matter of going with a stiffer spine.

Here is PSE's 2010 spine chart...

Everytime the string blows off on the top wheel to the right, i'm not sure what i'm doing wrong. My only guess is that could the cams could be out of wack enough do do this?
    just my uneducated input, but the fact that your bow is derailing seems more of a concern to me and maybe the cause of your arrows breaking rather than the other way around. Looking at the pics your arrow has been shattered and the gouge at the nock looks like an abrasion (from te pic anyway) rather than a chemical melt. Maybe your bow is derailing first and then causing the arrow to break when it hits your rest or riser?
    Check for a bad cam, excessive cam lean or even extreme torquing that could cause the derailing....

Good luck at sorting it out.
    All the good lines are already taken

Quote Originally Posted by Ike View Post
    just my uneducated input, but the fact that your bow is derailing seems more of a concern to me and maybe the cause of your arrows breaking rather than the other way around. Looking at the pics your arrow has been shattered and the gouge at the nock looks like an abrasion (from te pic anyway) rather than a chemical melt. Maybe your bow is derailing first and then causing the arrow to break when it hits your rest or riser?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ike View Post
    Check for a bad cam, excessive cam lean or even extreme torquing that could cause the derailing..
    I would say the same.
    Your broken arrows are a result not a cause. Check cam lean first.
    I harvest carrots. I kill animals.

Ike and Ambush have it right....its not the arrows, its the bow. Most likely thing is as ambush said, you have cam lean that is causing the string to derail at the shot. When this happens it will throw the arrow all over the place. Being trapped in a containment rest the arrow is being thrown against the outer edge of the rest somewhere causing it to break.

Try this.....draw the bow back and anchor as though you are going to shoot. Then look up to your top cam.....does the string line up directly behind the groove in your cam or is it angled off to one side. Could also be some heavy torque on your part as well, while at full draw have someone take a look at your stabilizer....is it pointing straight at the target or is it pointing off to the side. Another good indicator of torque is put an arrow on the bow (don't draw it). Line up your eye so that the string runs right down the center of the arrow....now check your pins....are they right tight to the string or are they way outside/inside of the string.

Hope this helps
    Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Bow Walker Guest

Nice to have you 'back' and posting again Chris. You've been absent for a while.

Great insight and great tips.

yeah...seems like if i'm not working, I'm runnin the snowblower lately!!! Hopefully it will stop snowin here for a while so i can catch up on HBC!!!!

Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson