Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Broken Arrows?!

Re: Broken Arrows?!

Doesn't look like factory fletch job. In the pic I see where the Carbon has been gouged out so as to expose the nock. One would assume that if it were acidic glue then there would be a linear fracture on the shaft along the fletch. Are you getting contact on the bow somewhere? Looks more like an impact break.

Bow Walker Guest

Could also be something as simple as the arrow nock not being seated on the string properly, causing a hellova whack ont he nock when he releases.(?)

Could also be a problem with spine. But I suspect that the glue is weakening the shaft and causing it to fail.

Allan - how many shots per arrow before they brake? Might be important. If the camis "throwing" the string, you'd think that it would do it every shot. I suspect the arrow failure is causing the string to jump the groove, not the other way around.

Best advice I can think of right now is to get over to Big game and get the bow and the arrows checked out thoroughly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bow Walker View Post
    Try going to Big Game Archery(?) Sorry if I got the name wrong. He's in Abbotsford and really knows his stuff. I think his name is Wayne(?) (the memory is the 2nd thing to go...)

Well worth the short drive to get the problem solved/fixed.

By the look of the broken arrow shaft - it sure looks like a glue problem.
    That's right. Wayne it is. (604) 859-2086

Bow Walker Guest

Allan - there you go! Phone Wayne and make an appointment to go see him. Take your bow and all the arrows - both broken and whole for him to inspect. You won't regret it.

Bow Walker Guest

A quick look at the spine chart for x-weave arrows shows that you may be using shafts that are a bit too weak.

Try using some 200 spine shafts - they're a bit stronger and will stand up to more 'abuse'.

Thanks for the advice, I will try and contact Wayne this week. Where did you get the spine chart from? I thought for the radial x weave the higher the number the stiffer the spine?

With out checking the spine chart I do believe PSE decided to make a change from the norm and the numbers you would typically relate to spine in their case does not. In other words the higer the number the stiffer the spine. Also contact aside you may want to consider the tip weight you are shooting. If the shop gives it the ok and you dont have the cash for new arrows bump the weight of your tip down. If it is not a tuning issue with the bow causing some sort of rest contact then I would strongly suspect you are severley under spined. If that is the case according to PSE arrow numbering method you would be going from a 300 to a 400 with the X-Weave arrows.
    Gone Trad....

Looking at the Pic .. I would tend to lean toward a combination of weak spine, nock not seated or wrong size of nock and glue...

how were the shafts cleaned before gluing? Acetone or some other product???
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

sorry, did I miss what brand of arrow ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger4 View Post
    sorry, did I miss what brand of arrow ?
    Radial X weave 300. Not sure who actually makes them but apparently they number their spine stiffness backwards to the rest of the world. Another good reason to deal with a pro archery shop.
    I'm very interested to hear the outcome. In my first post I wanted to ask if you were shooting a biscuit. How much arrow do you have sticking out in front when at full draw?