Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Broken Arrows?!

Exclamation Broken Arrows?!

I've broken (grenaded) 4 arrows in the over the last 12 months on release, two of them in in the last two days.
    They always break, into 3 parts, at the start and the end of the fletching, and sometimes the nock comes out and goes flying. I've checked each arrow before flight, i've never missed the target with them and never shoot at the same spot twice to ensure that I don't damage the arrow. I even bought new arrows after the second time thinking that there was a problem.
    Everytime the string blows off on the top wheel to the right, i'm not sure what i'm doing wrong. I double check the nock, and every arrow before I shoot. My only guess is that could the cams could be out of wack enough do do this?
    Please advise.
    2009 PSE Stinger
    30" draw, 60lb
    Radial X weave 300 Arrows,

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Broken Arrows?!

show me a picture of where they are breaking ... from what i read they are breaking at the fletching ... Makes me suspect acidic glue weakening the carbon ...

but I might be reading it wrong

A picture says 1000 words
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

Well first off quit shooting the bow and have a pro give it a good going over or do you want to keep going till you drive a busted carbon shaft through your arm. Sounds like you still have 8 more tries.
    My next thought is each time that happened it could have the similar affect as a dry fire. Again take it in and get it checked.
    300 spine may be a little stiff for a 60 pound bow but I wouldn't think this is the cause of your problem. I appreciate you wanting to figure this out on your own but there are. some very serious dangers to you and anyone standing near you when this happens. So in case you missed it the first few times. Take it in to a pro. Good luck and let us know.

That's pretty scary. I've seen it happen to a friend of mine before and it scared both of us. If you have seen or heard of someone getting an arrow through there hand you would never shoot another one of those arrows. It is a slow and painful recovery.

Who fletched your arrows? Like bowzone said maybe the glue is breaking down the carbon. Now it sounds like your bow may have gotten damaged from the dry fire. My friends bow had the Bottom cam flatten out the grooves so it will never properly hold the string again. Check your grooves on your cams.

Take it to a pro shop and have them look it over. I wouldn't be embarrassed about it because my safety means more to me then my ego.

I have taken it to a shop, and had the pro look at it. He tells me its a bad arrow? ( not possible this many times) these are new arrows two different batches. I will be taking it back to the shop and asking them to keep it for me till they figure this out bc I am very concerned about this. yes i know its dangerous. I doubt thats its the glue as they came from factory and I havent modified the fletchings ect.
    Check out how they break, almost allways a straight break. I think as they hit the wisker biscuit, or sight ring they snap. I suspect that the cams or limbs may be off enough thet occasionally the string might jump off, allways on the top right. but I don't know how to measure or judge specifically.

Bow Walker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bowzone_Mikey View Post
    show me a picture of where they are breaking ... from what i read they are breaking at the fletching ... Makes me suspect acidic glue weakening the carbon ...

but I might be reading it wrong

A picture says 1000 words
    My first thought as well. If the arrows are breaking just around the fletching it is most likely the type of glue being used. Is the place where you bought the arrows doing the fletching? Are you doing your own fletching?

Let us know.

And YES, stop shooting until the problem is fixed. Unless you particularly want an injury...

Bow Walker Guest

Where are you? What shop are you using?

lets try the pic again
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails broken arrows sm.jpg  

I'm in Chilliwack, using Chilliwack Dart and Tackle.

Bow Walker Guest

Try going to Big Game Archery(?) Sorry if I got the name wrong. He's in Abbotsford and really knows his stuff. I think his name is Wayne(?) (the memory is the 2nd thing to go...)

Well worth the short drive to get the problem solved/fixed.

By the look of the broken arrow shaft - it sure looks like a glue problem.