View Poll Results: How do you finish a deer off?

Voters
158. You may not vote on this poll
  • I use my rifle

94 59.49%
  • I use my knife

19 12.03%
  • It isn't an issue - the deer is always dead before it hits the ground

45 28.48%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do you finish a deer off?

Re: How do you finish a deer off?

Quote Originally Posted by urbanhermit View Post
    arm bar or rear naked choke..
    What the heck is a rear naked choke?!!!!!!!!

Bullet to the head for me.
    Blktail

If you aren't part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

If I have spined an animal and it is pretty obvious it is not going to expire in the next minute or so I will place a shot at the base of its skull (very top of its neck) directly from behind so the shot won't split its skull plate and it will exit out the front of its neck taking out the jugular, then pull the back legs uphill letting it bleed out while I have a celebratory cigar. The throat cutting that is suggested in your core is for bleeding properly not killing, and is kind of useless if you are going to gut the animal in the next 20 minutes or so anyhow. Remember to stick your barrel in the eye before you put your hands on it (it better be open and it better not blink).

I shot the moose in my avatar in the neck, it went straight down and when I got to it it was bleeding out, motionless and its eyes were wide open so I ASSUMED it was done, I sat on it and smoked a cigar when I got up to take a picture 5 minutes later he started thrashing around. Kind of surprised me so I gave him another. I learned not to assume anything ...again ... The shock from the shot must have stunned him, along with being fatal, but he had obviously not finished doing the "funky chicken". I bet if I had stuck my barrel in his eye (I usually do) he would have blinked.

For me it has always been my rifle..
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

When I started hunting on the coast I was shown to use a knife on the blacktails. I did it a few times , but since I moved north 23 years ago and got my first moose on the ground I switched to the rifle, and have done it this way on all species ever since.
    Mike