View Poll Results: How do you finish a deer off?

Voters
158. You may not vote on this poll
  • I use my rifle

94 59.49%
  • I use my knife

19 12.03%
  • It isn't an issue - the deer is always dead before it hits the ground

45 28.48%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you finish a deer off?

How do you finish a deer off?

Hi there,

I have been hunting now for a few years and have had modest success. I learned how to hunt from taking my CORE course, going out hunting twice with an experience hunter, reading as much as I could, and going out in the field either by myself, or with a friend to put everything that I have learned into practice.

What I never came across is what to do to finish off a deer (I guess I was so focused on what I had to do to get into the position to make a shot + how to gut and butcher). My first deer I shot through the neck (the deer was facing me only about 30m away). I closed the distance and saw that the deer was still moving around, so I put the barrel behind the deer's ear at the base of the skull and fired off another round (man, was that LOUD). It seemed just the right thing to do. Since then, I have always done the same thing (assuming that the deer is still moving somewhat when I get right up to it).

However, I have come across a couple of other hunter now who have always cut the deers neck to end its life. I am not saying that one is better than the other (honestly, I am too new at hunting to have a strong opinion one way or the other) but I am curious as to what people do.

Hence, the poll:

Cheers,
    BB

2. Site Sponsor

Re: How do you finish a deer off?

a shot behind the ear is way quicker than a slashed neck, also if the deer or moose or elk is not totally disabled, it can kick you and possibly even kill you with a leg kick or antler gore you, a deers hooves are a lethal weapon when they kick,
    sit quietly by the river,,,,,,

eventually the bodies of your enemies will come floating by,,,,

Agree with Elkdom, NEVER get close to a live deer or worse, a larger ungulate. Their hooves or antlers can kill! Stay a safe distance away and put a bullet in the back of it's head.
    B.C., PRE-NDP, formerly the best place to play! Cogito, ergo armatus sum!

x3 with Elkdom

I usual shoot vitals, neck or head, so i will approach and use my knife if safe to do so need to bleed out anyways, however if an animal is going to suffer I would fire another round.

Ps I primarilly hunt coastal blacktails.

Happy hunting
    Some people call them hunting hounds, I call them cross country sight seeing guides

Depends, If the critter is very much alive(which I have only seen once while bow hunting and the deer jumped the string resulting in a very bad shot placement) Then yeah give him another shot to end it for him.
    But if you just get to him too soon and he's on the ground in his death throws(legs kinda kicking a bit head might be moving, shallow garggled breathing) Then just let him be for a few minutes longer. at that point shock has more than set in and he's isn't feeling anything anyway. Why make a bigger mess than you have to?
    He who goes to bed with itchy bum, wakes up with smelly finger.

If needed, a shot in the ribs. Doesn't wreck the cape, and doesn't wreck much meat (few ribs). Have had to do it after spine shots.

arm bar or rear naked choke..
    "You Fat Man, Speak Up"

40 years ago I saw my father in law grab a deer under the chin,as he had killed 100s of sheep, to cut it's throat and up came the back legs and ripped his shorts and undies off. He rode that deer like a bull rider and finally cut it's throat.
    It's a funny sight watching a guy from behind, bent over, carrying a deer with a bare arse.
    I'll be home before winter. It's too cold to sleep out.

I had a region 5 doe tag a few years back. I wasn't really focused on does. I was busy chasing 4 points around. Anyways I came across a doe and she was standing there. So I hummed and hawed on if I should take her or not. My though was "if I can hit her in the head cool, if I miss oh well."

So I put my cross hairs right on her nose and touched the trigger. She went down hard and was kicking like crazy. I gave her a good 5 minutes thinking I got her in the neck. When I walked up to her and kicked her head over to asses the damage. I noticed the top of her head was split right down the middle with no brains left.

It was one shot one kill. So with that type of shot I know she was dead before she hit the ground, but still was thrashing about due to nerves. So just because something is still moving doesn't mean it's still alive. Just something to think about. Give your animals time to die before running up to them.